visuastudio and svchost errors

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi

I am getting a number of errors appearing all of a sudden on my PC and hope someone can help me eliminate them please.

First the most common is

svchost.exe Application error
The instruction at "0x001a3b57" referenced memory at 0x00000000 The memory could not be read

Then the error

Microsoft Visual C+= Debug Library
Program c:\windows\system 32\svchost.exe
File c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\xtree
line 293
Expression map/set iterators incompatible

The third which appeared this morning for the first time:
svchost.exe Application error
A breakpoint has been reached (ox80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x100f4360

I first tried going into
Admin tools/Services and altered all automatic settings to Manual then rebooted computer the svchost.exe application error still apeared. As I could not access Internet printers etc I slowly changed some settings to Autmatic re-booting at every change I now have the following changed back to automatic settings in the menu

AVG Firewall; AVG Wtachdog; AVG91DS Agent; DNS Client; Plug and PlPrint Spooler; Rapport Manager; Remote Procedure Call; TCP/IP; Windows Image Acquisition; all set at Automatic Started.

Application Gateway Svc; Terminal services and SSDP Discovery Svc are set at manual but started.

Computer Browser; Server; Shell Hardware Detection; System Event Notification; Windows Audio; Windows Firewall; Windows Management Instrument; Windows Time; Windows Management Instrument Driver Extensons and Workstation are set to automatic but not showing started.

Hope this information helps someone understand the problem once these errors occur my computer fails to load programmes and I cannot work.

Sorry this is so long but hope info is useful..cheers

As it is svchost.exe it could be any of the services running under it. Have you had any updates recently?

See what's running under it Run > cmd > tasklist /svc

Some malware tries to run under it so do a scan.

Hi

Thanks for that when I run the CMD then tasklist/svc

I get the message RPC server unavailable

I will run a Malware check just in case although I do this on a regular basis.

svchost is used to manage services and device drivers. You can check event viewer if there are any message from failed services in there

- from CMD type 'eventvwr' Look through system log and application log for more details.

RPC server not running is not a good sign. I am wondering if it is malware.

Hi oneman

Appreciate your help I am running Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool but as I put it on complete it is going to take a long time.

I will take your advice and have a look at eventvwr

thanks again

Hi Oneman

I have printed off a list from microsoft of the settings for admin tools/svcs and set my pc accordingly. I cannot re-boot as the malicious software romoval tool is only about 20% complewte after 3 hrs so will have to wait until that completes. Will let you know the changes this action has caused when I re-boot.

Again thanks for help

Hi M8

I have rebooted my pc so now all I can do is wait to see if the error comes up again.

thanks for your help to date

Hi Oneman

just opened eventvwr can you guide me as to what I should be looking hor in the log files please?

You don't need to wait for the next error to occur as the log will have already tracked the errors you have already had.

In the system log, look for error messages from Service Control Manager. It should have more details about which service or device driver caused a failure.

Hi

I have got my legs, fingers and eyes crossed no error messages for some time now last logged error on eventvwr was at 15:52!

cheers and thanks for taking time out to try to help me.

Back