Vista X64 Stopped Recognising DVD drives

TheWakeUpCall

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've googled everywhere and I cannot find a solution. Loads of people seem to have this problem, but none of them post a solution that works for me.

Basically, these are two brand new SATA drives and they work fine. I installed Vista from one them a couple of days ago and then installed some software from the other to check they both work, and they do.

I just put in a Ubuntu Live CD in one of them to check it's not the hardware that's the problem, and it was loading it so that's fine.

So basically, I have Vista x64, and it was all working fine and then the next minute I had been installing loads of stuff and the drives stopped working. They still appear in the Computer, and you can open and close the trays, but if you ever try to open a disc it says "D:\ Application not found". I have uninstalled them and reinstalled them. I installed SP1, did nothing still.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My acer did the same & Acer support told me it was a Microsoft problem & they couldn't help.
There was a fix on the Microsoft website but it was all to do with registary keys

what am i checking for? and how? sorry, i don't really know much about this, never really had to bother with anything like this before... (i shouldnt be having to now, yes, looking at your vista).
I will leave you a link about aspi below.
good luck with yor problem also the site you will have more time and experience for you ,just post questions and enjoy .
AfterDawn.com: Guides: Installing a working ASPI layer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back