Vista, how fast does yours boot ?

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive been trying to time the bootup time of vista recently, obvioulsy different setups etc will have different boot times, but iam asking those of you who have a half decent system and dont have a whole load of junk booting up etc, please time yours to see how quick it boots up, when i say "boots up", i mean to the first point of seeing the windows desktop screen, not after any internet security is loaded etc as that can sometimes take a good few seconds more.

Just want a rough guide, doesnt need to be spot on, just look at the second hand on your watch as it starts, mines gets to the desktop screen in approx 55-60 seconds.

Be good to see how fast others are and if much faster how they get it to do it that fast.

cheers.

41 seconds
but it could be quicker, I have to change boot order to just hdd.

Still quick

Dell Inspiron 530 (Tesco £299) job but modded
<<< System Summary >>>

Mainboard : Dell 0FM586
Chipset : Intel P31/P35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz (due to be tape pin modded to 3mhz)
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 800mhz DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce EVGA 8800 GT Superclocked
+ 1.5 Volt mod done, Akasa cooler installed.
Hard Disk : WDC (200 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N ATA Device
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL SE198WFP - 19 inches
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
PSU : Enermax 720W Infiniti
Windows Performance Index : 5.6

Last edited:
ok, update.........

installed my original legal copy of vista premium.

First of all, before installing sp1 and an internet security program, i noticed that everything was lightening fast on the desktop, clicking on things, opening applications etc, just amazingly electric fast...

BUT..

then i installed sp1 (as we need it dont we, lol), and of course internet security program too, again i stuck with zonealarms internet security 2009, but soon as i installed the sp1, i could physically see the difference in typical speeds as compared to not having sp1 installed, and then of course the zonealarms went on and that will also slow things slightly which is fair enough.

but all in all, i do notice that the difference with vista ultimate and premium is pretty much different, with ultimate it must install allsorts of crap that people dont need, were'as with premium theres not as much crap, so end result is that now the system is running much faster, iam not saying boot times are faster cause they aint, but overall system performance is faster.

hope this may help some people who are wondering what version to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back