Virginmedia prices up in new year

kniner

Member ++
Reaction score
Received a letter from virgin Friday to say they will be putting up there prices in Feb..... mine go up by £5.50 a month thinking i may call it a day that will make it £79 a month..... to much now

Yep had it too vigin media forme is very expensive I only have basic tv and it costs me at least 60 per month with calls. I was even persuaded to add the 2 pound a month 0845 package to reduce my bills and it hasn't. Also if newsgroups are going tits up I won't need there super fast broadband. And with the new sly security I may soon need a sly sub so I will probably switch to sky.

Sent from my iPad using Telepathy.

phoned them yesterday and told them to reduce the speed of my broadband, they said "I would only save a fiver", I said "good that will cover the price your putting it up in the new year", thay asked if that was the reason I was reducing it and I said yes, but also thay said last year we were getting free double the speed broadband then put the prices up and are doing it again, upload speed has not doubled, download speed is all over the place, I have to plug my own router into the piece of crap they call a superhub, they asked did I want a usb stick, I told them I would rather have the £45 I had to spend for the latest netgear one I bought to try and get a decent download speed.

then they asked if I was happy with my other services, my reply was how long have you got, 1st complaint was them not telling me as a long standing customer I was entitled to a free hd box to replace my old box, and not telling me I had to take their old one to a shop to post it back to them, charging me 21p for a 3 second phone call, at this point I got fed up and said the more I think about it the more I wonder why I am with them, and hung up...

phoned them yesterday and told them to reduce the speed of my broadband, they said "I would only save a fiver", I said "good that will cover the price your putting it up in the new year", thay asked if that was the reason I was reducing it and I said yes, but also thay said last year we were getting free double the speed broadband then put the prices up and are doing it again, upload speed has not doubled, download speed is all over the place, I have to plug my own router into the piece of crap they call a superhub, they asked did I want a usb stick, I told them I would rather have the £45 I had to spend for the latest netgear one I bought to try and get a decent download speed.

then they asked if I was happy with my other services, my reply was how long have you got, 1st complaint was them not telling me as a long standing customer I was entitled to a free hd box to replace my old box, and not telling me I had to take their old one to a shop to post it back to them, charging me 21p for a 3 second phone call, at this point I got fed up and said the more I think about it the more I wonder why I am with them, and hung up...

mmmmmm this made me think why am i also with them
so is this bit true " them not telling me as a long standing customer I was entitled to a free hd box to replace my old box"
so if i phone up will they swap my shitty box for a new hd 1

with the dissaperance of all the nzb sites i think a move to sky is on the cards if virgun dont offer me summit

so is this bit true " them not telling me as a long standing customer I was entitled to a free hd box to replace my old box"
so if i phone up will they swap my shitty box for a new hd 1

phone but make sure the don't try and charge you £20 activation charge, they will send you a new hd box in a returnable cardboard box for the old one that you need to take to a store that does Collect+, if you don't return it the say they will charge you up to £150.lol

as if this will keep the customers satisfied..

Get extra channels for free this festive season

Great news. Until 3rd January TV M, TV M+ and TV L customers will be able to access loads of fantastic channels including Eden, Alibi and Gold, and all their exciting programmes.

Get your fairy tales up to date with Grimm: Season 2 on Watch, Escape To The Country for the holidays on Home, and get up to your elbows in spuds with Jamie’s Best Ever Christmas on Good Food.

In fact you’ll be able to watch all of these great channels right up until 3rd January.

Watch (124) and Watch HD (125), Dave HD (129), Alibi (130) and Alibi HD (131), Blighty (206), Good Food (260), Good Food HD (261), Home (265), Eden (208) and Eden HD (209).

as if this will keep the customers satisfied..

Get extra channels for free this festive season

Great news. Until 3rd January TV M, TV M+ and TV L customers will be able to access loads of fantastic channels including Eden, Alibi and Gold, and all their exciting programmes.

Get your fairy tales up to date with Grimm: Season 2 on Watch, Escape To The Country for the holidays on Home, and get up to your elbows in spuds with Jamie’s Best Ever Christmas on Good Food.

In fact you’ll be able to watch all of these great channels right up until 3rd January.

Watch (124) and Watch HD (125), Dave HD (129), Alibi (130) and Alibi HD (131), Blighty (206), Good Food (260), Good Food HD (261), Home (265), Eden (208) and Eden HD (209).

And wtf do we get who already have them channels? nothing!!!

I move in the new year so am seriously looking at getting some form os satellite system up and running can get a cs for £120 just need to decide on a decent HD box :)

I will keep virmin broadband though just get rid of the tv should save me about £20 a month

I also had this, only have BBand and land line and i wanted to drop the landline last time i phoned, but i'm sure they said they would do it for £1.50 month if i kept it (use it about twice year).

On the letter it states i can £55 year by paying 12 months line rental upfront.

Has anyone else on here ditched their landline ?

We cant get virginmedia where i live because its a newly built estate so i am stuck with sky and only get 3 meg and bt could only give us 0.5 i used to be on 50 meg no bt infinity either we only live 3 miles from the exchange not out in the sticks i would love to have fast broadband allways had the top tier when i was with virginmedia for broadband even my dad just upgraded to 60 meg for an aditional cost of £1.50 a month

Mentioned this in a post https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/294075/

Scandalous how they can just do this!!
Once mine goes up then i'll make a call to cancel or drop my BB speed down as been mentioned the way things are going with VM then i'm not downloading half as much as i was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had this, only have BBand and land line and i wanted to drop the landline last time i phoned, but i'm sure they said they would do it for £1.50 month if i kept it (use it about twice year).

On the letter it states i can £55 year by paying 12 months line rental upfront.

Has anyone else on here ditched their landline ?

The other half has ditched the land line, has tv and bb for about £48 i think

I rang retentions twice and twice I failed to get anywhere. I get 30Mb - L TV - normal phone for £33.90 at the moment. They want an extra £3.09 off me.

my letter has just dropped through the door.... i have the basic broadband a calls package with no tv and its going up £2.24 per month from feb next year. at my last increase they said they were doubling my speeds from 10meg to 20 meg which they havent as its still 10 meg dl and 1meg ul. i have had constant probems with mine keep going off but there not interested. when i lost my job 11 weeks ago i cancelled my direct debits and pay my s*y and virgin by card over the phone and virgin charge me a extra £5 for paying my bill. F***ing thieves the lot of them,regards mdt

I've just cancelled the TV. Keeping the phone and 30mBB for £22.50pm

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I've just cancelled the TV. Keeping the phone and 30mBB for £22.50pm

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

looks like im being shafted then as i was being charged £31.50 pm for broadband and phone and now they want a extra £5 cos i pay via debit card,regards mdt

I've just cancelled the TV. Keeping the phone and 30mBB for £22.50

I pay that but get 60Mb and I thought they were ditching the phone line but never did but i've taken the phone outta the wall cos all i kept getting where them bloody automated calls.
That £22.50 was for 12 months which will be up next year at some point and then it goes up. Can't remember how much to maybe £27.50? But i'll contact them again and say i don't wanna pay that much so reduce by BB so i can pay less

i loved it when they said they were doubling the speed for free.

obviously the next years customers were to foot the bill, thats it this time. 30 notice in and the ship is well and truly jumped

I left virgin a while ago, Ive got a few phone contracts with O2 and they have offered me the works package 16Mbit Unlimited downloads, evening and weekend calls £19 a month.

The service is pretty good, it does me ok

i used to have virgin then they kept upping the prices do in the end i cancelled and got a freeview box and with talk talk BB

All the cable channels just repeat programs all the time and we were paying for the same thing i have seen

Happy with the freeview now and as long i have the BBC channels i'm fine.

Its crammed with adverts every 10 mins on cable/sky and i don't miss it one bit

Back