Virgin offer free router

They're not offering a free router and it's nothing to do with conspiracies to block servers either.
The story you linked says it is a software download but only if you are a hub 5 user and activate a free trial. 😂

Is anyone using the hub 4 or 5? I use a 3, and it's fine, apart from wifi to the back bedroom being weak. I wondered if the new ones were better.

Is anyone using the hub 4 or 5? I use a 3, and it's fine, apart from wifi to the back bedroom being weak. I wondered if the new ones were better.
I had a hub 3 was great, but switched from contract in mrs name, to my name and upped the speed from 350 - 500mb (with intention of going to 1gig with volt), they replaced the hub 3 with a hub 4, and the first 3 of them were sh** even in modem only mode (infact the 3rd didn't work properly when the "engineer" took it out of the box and hooked it up, was giving wild readings and no speed at all, so it was replaced in under 10 mins, but the 4th seemed to work ok in the 6 months or so I had it.

However I now have hub 5, and it works great, in modem mode (not bothered to use it in router mode).

I've got the hub 5 and pretty impressed. With the hub 3 the mrs complained that in the kitchen where she chooses to work she kept dropping signal, with the hub 5 its fine. The only one issue i have is my camera mounted on the garage miles away sometimes finds the signal just a little low.

I’m still using hub 3 and need Tp-link extender so I can get decent WiFi in the back garden🙄.

If I was on over 500mb connection I would need a newer hub as I think the hub 3 can only handle speeds lower than 500mb and the hub 3 doesn’t have WiFi 6 either.

Not really had any problems with it tbh.
My Android media device is hard wired and I prefer it that way.
Phones, laptop and smart speakers all run fine over WiFi.

Next year will be looking at City fibre providers and if virgin can’t price match I will be leaving.

I wouldn't use any router provided by an ISP as they are able to view all the devices connected to them. Put the ISP device in modem mode and get your own router is my advice. Don't go through the ISP's DNS servers either!

Back