Virgin Media plans new channel launch

slydog

New Member ++
Reaction score
Virgin Media TV has confirmed it will launch a new entertainment channel, Virgin 1, which will be available on Sky, cable and digital terrestrial television in the autumn.

The channel will mix newly commissioned and acquired programming with user-generated content and content from Virgin Media pay-TV channels. Catch-ups, previews and exclusive content will be available via broadband and Virgin Media on-demand.

It is thought the channel will be pitched somewhere between its female-targeted channel Living and the male-targeted Bravo, and may replace Virgin Media TV's FTN channel on DTT.

Celia Taylor has been appointed director of programming for the channel alongside her responsibilities for Bravo, Bravo 2, Challenge and Trouble. She will report to Claudia Rosencrantz, director of television.

Jonathan Webb, managing director of Virgin Media Television, said: "I want Virgin 1 and the newly reinvigorated Living to be two of the top television channels by switchover. Virgin 1 will shake up multi-channel and free-to-air TV, and start liberating viewers from the linear schedule. It will be a creative tour de force and a cutting-edge example of any time, any place content. Virgin Media TV has huge support from Virgin Media and Richard Branson, who agree that Virgin 1 is what UK audiences have been waiting for."

Programme acquisitions, understood to include US programming bought at the recent series of upfronts in Los Angeles last month, are expected to be announced soon.

Elsewhere, Virgin Media is thought to be close to a deal Setanta Sports to launch its own sports channel.

virgin are taking over the world... any1 noticed?

With Rup cutting off Sly One, why would Branson offer to share Virgin1 ? I can see the case for it being on DTT to increase potential advertising revenue, but there's no mileage in sharing it with Rup, and Rup has got his own lineup he owns, so he aint going to miss a new channel without a loyal following.

Unless Richy Rich is trying to recover Sly )ne without loosing face by claiming it was a swap really.

COnvert

virgin are taking over the world... any1 noticed?

Not a chance!

$ly is in my opinion a much better platform for digital TV. Dont get me wrong, if they were to advance then that would be good for us all. Especially if they have more channels coming ;o)

Sounds good. I hardly ever watch Ftn anyway. hope they get rid.

Back