Virgin Media increases broadband price

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Virgin Media increases broadband price

Cable giant ups price of packages just months after promise to double broadband speeds for free

Broadband-007.jpg

Virgin Media will increase the price of its most popular broadband (large) package by £1 a month. Photograph: Graham Turner for the Guardian

Virgin Media is to up the price of its broadband packages, three months after it said it was doubling its customers' speeds for free.

In early January, the cable giant announced it would double the speed of its broadband service for more than 4 million of its customers. The upgrade, which begins this month, will also see the service's top speed increase from 100Mbps to 120Mbps.

At the time, Virgin Media's chief executive, Neil Berkett, said: "We want to make sure that consumers have access to the best value broadband service and that means a superfast connection."

A spokesman added: "Most customers will not notice the upgrades taking place, nor will any have to pay for the changes to take place."

However, a few weeks on it has emerged that customers will face price rises averaging more than £25 a year.

The company will increase the price of its most popular broadband (large) package by £1 a month. It is also upping some call charges by 12%, and changing the time its free calls kicks in – meaning some customers will be charged for calls that were previously free.

Large Broadband bought as standalone product (without line rental) is increasing in price by £1.50 a month to £22.50. The price changes will come into force on 1 April – with the first letters going out to customers announcing the move this week.

Virgin's move is the latest in a series of price increases pushed through across the telecoms sector. BT, Sky TalkTalk, O2, Vodafone, and Orange have all put charges up in recent months, at a time when most customers have had little or no increase to incomes.

A Virgin Media spokesperson defended the changes: "As part of our ongoing review of services, we're making some changes to our cable pricing from April. On average, customers will see an increase of around £2.68 per month.

"However as part of our review, we've also managed to provide some customer savings and frozen prices such as our phone line rental. We will be proactively contacting existing customers in the coming weeks to make sure that they are on the best value package for them."

He pointed out that customers who wish to save money can move to a lower broadband tier which will eventually be upgraded at no extra cost.

Virgin has moved back the daytime call period from 6pm to 7pm, so calls made between 6-7pm, which were free as part of a package, will now be charged at the new higher daytime rate of 14.94p plus 9.94 pence per minute (ppm). This brings Virgin into line with BT and other rival telecoms companies which had already made the change.

The cost of several other add on Virgin products such as international calling discount are also rising – in each case by well above inflation.

Miles Brignall
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 2 February 2012 16.47 GMT
© 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.

Virgin Media increases broadband price | Money | guardian.co.uk

I can see a haggle coming on by me or its ta ta virgin. Am i right in thinking that if you cancel your contract within these rises, then you will not incur any penalty ?

They are making a fuss about it but most of the other broadband providers have done the same and not promised a speed increase.

I'm sure I had an email or letter about the price increase before they announced the speed increase any way.

To be honest I can't see me leaving virgin for the foreseeable future as the alternatives are crap.

What type of speeds does everyone get when only one device is on using a wired connection?

Using speed test I get roughly 25 - 30mb on the 50mb plan.

Recently, like some other peeps, I discovered my modem had been set to 110 megs. My last speedtest (although I put no trust in web page speed tests) was 104 meg. I download from the newsgroups and get a constant 98 meg. When I was on the 50meg line I got a constant 47 meg download from the newsgroups and a 50 meg speed test.

1733792173.png

i'll probably wait for the 10mb > 20mb free upgrade then downgrade to the 5mb>10mb package!

i'll probably wait for the 10mb > 20mb free upgrade then downgrade to the 5mb>10mb package!

Really? wait till you see it in action, there's no going back....lol, £25.00 quid a year extra I can live with it's motor insurance that should be having a look at it's self.

Happily pay it me like.

im currently on 20mb, and ill happily pay the little extra each month knowing in a few months ill be going from 20mb to 60mb... virgin is by far the best most stable internet from any providers in this country, imo!

No complaints here for VM/BY/TW.
They've bumped up our speed a couple of times previously at no extra cost. It's the only real option for me as my local exchange hasn't been upgraded yet to give me anything faster than 6.5Mb

The only problem I have with them is their STM, but there are obvious ways around that. I also got one of the new Superhubs last week, so the money I save from having a modem and router plugged in at the same time will offset the charge, plus it's more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

An extra £1.50 for a rock solid, stable service, and free 5Gb storage? I'll have some of that.
Before Usain (sorry Richard) announced the double speed, I was going to upgrade to the 30Mb service, I don't need to now.

Back