Virgin Media 30mb super hub modem

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi

right chaps you have had this new firmware on for over a month now, whats it like i have been told the modem wired is excellent but wirelessly is crap, its the wireless side iinteresteded as all my PC, laptops and wii,ps3 and nedbooks and iphone are all wireless, is there still issue or is it worth the £30 they want for the modem

all comments are welcome good or bad :)

Hi M8,

Had too call round too a m8 who was complaining about his wireless,when i got there he had a super hub,so checked what f/w he had,it had been upgraded too R30,so i'd say theres still probs on the wireless side of things,only connecting two lappys & a ps3,the wired side worked flawlessly....

If you are going down this route I'd suggest sticking the hub in modem mode, and using your own wireless router.

As said above, I use a wired connection through the superhub with powerlines and it works fine

If you are going down this route I'd suggest sticking the hub in modem mode, and using your own wireless router.

+1 on that,it seems to be what a lot of people are doing at the minute.

the only issue i get is when a new fw is loaded on i have to set everything up again.appart from that it has been fine for me.

the only issue i get is when a new fw is loaded on i have to set everything up again.appart from that it has been fine for me.

does it support only wireless b/g/n i ask virgin that and the person didn't know the answer

I'm running mine as a standard modem feeding 2 cheap TP-LINK wireless routers running in bridged mode.

This setup is far more reliable than using the VM Hubs own wireless, which I found would reboot itself randomly throughout the day. The new firmware seems to have sorted the rebooting but the wireless side is still a bit iffy.

does it support only wireless b/g/n i ask virgin that and the person didn't know the answer

i have g and n devices connected to it with no issues, is that what you mean??

i have g and n devices connected to it with no issues, is that what you mean??

whats the range like because i heard it was really bad, if i get one it wiuld be upstairs and half the stuff i connect is downstairs, thing is if you have trouble they wont change it back.

If this is the same "Super Hub" which is made by Netgear then my sister-in-law had the exact same issues with wireless, the only way for it to work/stay stable and for range not to be an issue with connections was to drop it back to 54Mbps. My nephew couldn't connect his PS3 in the next room, as soon as i altered it he was fine, and was even able to move it upstairs.

If this is the same "Super Hub" which is made by Netgear then my sister-in-law had the exact same issues with wireless, the only way for it to work/stay stable and for range not to be an issue with connections was to drop it back to 54Mbps. My nephew couldn't connect his PS3 in the next room, as soon as i altered it he was fine, and was even able to move it upstairs.

not 100% sure what its like as haven,t got one but they keep trying to get me to switch over (think is grey all in one router and modem with 4 yellow ports on back.

I must have dropped lucky as tbh I never had any issues with the wireless. It was sat next to my Draytek and the wireless signal was just as good and I never suffered any of the dropouts and crashes people were reporting. As it is I've dropped it in to modem mode anyway just so I can route things better and be able to force IP change etc

i have noticed the signal level drop but i have no complaints about it effecting speed really. my lodger is 2 floors above where the super hub is and he happily uses the newservers and he hasnt complained to me about it. appart frrom when he cant connect because they have wiped my settings with a fw update

Back