USB To Serial Adaptor

manutd

Inactive User
Reaction score
My DM500 isnt working so need to flash a new image but dont have a serial port.

Has anyone tried and tested a USB to Serial cable with drivers that work. Have Windows Vista and Windows 7 but if need I can install XP if required. Search on forum but worked for some and not for others. Just need a cable that definatly works and there are drivers available. Unless someone in Lancashire willing to flash an image for me:LOL:

for what it would cost you to post box to someone to flash, it would be quicker going on ebay and buying a USB to Serial and doing it yourself. :)

True. Just need to find a cable that works as heard its hit and miss

True. Just need to find a cable that works as heard its hit and miss

As long as its a null modem cable you should be fine, try your local PC shop they should have them cheap.

Phone a few PC shop they have any. Maplins £20. Dont mind ebay but upon reading forums not all work. Mate of mine has tried a few and they have not worked for him

This is the one I use and works fine on vista and windows 7, if you search ebay I'm sure you will find cheaper :)

LOOK HERE

Prob cheaper ones around but not guaranteed to work. Have you used this several times as dont wanna buy and it doesnt work.

Last edited:
still using it up to date m8 had it about 4 years now

Last edited by a moderator:
cheap usb - seriel adaptors work just fine, the problem is making sure you have the correct driver.

look on fleabay for one that comes with a driver disk.

i just seen one delivered for £2.50 that comes with a driver cd that works on vista and xp.

also make sure make sure you buy a null modem cable and a not seriel cable, they look identical.. :)

again can be had for a couple of quid off the bay..

Both Newlink so must same/simlar. Iv ordered it. Thanks Rat and Napster

Buzzer - Just didnt fancy the risk. Wanted to buy one that's someone has tested.

No channels at all at the moment. Having to watch Freeview on Virgin as tried to flash an image wirelessly via Flash Wizard Pro. Showing as Network Inactive so unsure what went wrong

A cheap one will work ok, just have to remember to install the drivers first, if you don,t windows will install its own driver and it doesn't work, hence the hit and miss reports, also worth checking that windows assigns the correct port your software wants to use, if not you need to change it in device manager

Can't you FTP the image to the box and flash via setting image install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't you FTP the image to the box and flash via setting image install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iv been using flash wizard. Iv tried flashing image again and it says cannot connect. Its stuck on commando load screen. When I switch on box it wont go past that page. When I go into the settings menu via blue button, it says "Network Inactive"

Is there another way?

Just tried to FTP via Flash FXP and it wont connect. Comes with an error message - connection failed

Last edited:
also another option to bear in mind is if your laptop has an express card (or similar ) slot just need to check what it is called for compatibility
purposes you can buy a serial port like this RS-232 9-Pin Serial Com DB9 Male Port Express Card 34mm | eBay
and just put in in the slot windows finds and installs drivers then look in device manager to find what com port it is then flash with a normal null modem cable .
has worked for me using windows 7 after me trusty old xp desktop met its maker

Cable arrived. Worked first time without any issues. Thanks to those who replied

Back