USB Loader works, but NG7 fails.

cioscorp installed - zack game now loads successfully straight from dash (hopefully getting somewhere!!)

now to install cios38rev16 and see if can do a full new super mario bros test - then can hopefully surmise all my steps

strange....thought I'd sorted it.

As I said before.....before I jumped to cioscorp and cios38rev16......the Zack game I tried worked in neogamma.

I then updated to the cioscorp and then cios38rev16.

As a result, I have then gone back to try some more things......now Neogamma has stopped working again....with the usual timeout message (also crashing if choose Exit NeoGamma).

However, the system menu channel works perfectly fine. (with the exception of non Pal titles (which I think is a 4.2 restriction now - not sure if can be worked around yet) and New Super Mario Bros which goes straight back to the system menu. However I then tried NSMB in USB Loader as I'd previously installed it to usb stick from my other console - and NSMB works fine without any of the infamous crashing.....so maybe just need to find a workaround for that for it to work in the system menu - strange how nsmb works perfectly fine on my own chipped 4.2 wii tho from the system menu and this one doesnt....

So.....what I did in effect to at least get most of it working now....

(After failing with the 4.1 install) I'd tried to do a system update to 4.2 via the settings panel, however I kept for some reason getting an error on installing part way.
Soo... (taking the crap out of the middle when trying to resolve issues)

I installed the Waninkoko Firmware Updater v4.2.

I was then able to install the official 4.2 update without error.

put the boot.dol file of Any Title Deleter to the root of the SD card, to boot off that, loading into IOS36 and then deleting the IOS30 file.

Then ran dop-ios and chose to Downgrade IOS30 to the previous version.

I then refollowed the guide that we originally did for the 4.2 to the letter again, removing then reinstalling the diff versions of bootmii and hbc I'd been messing with.

After all that was working......the NG7 worked fine for my old game test....

BUT...I then installed CIOSCORP v3.6

Then installed Cios38rev16 selecting Cios36 to install it under.

Finally uninstalled the versions of USB Loader and NeoGamma and installed the most recent versions instead.

So I'm pretty much happy at how its working now (ie all fine in the system menu (easier for parents))....just need to check to see if its possible to get NSMB working from the system menu too (but maybe that is only doable when have the chip too)...., work out why neogamma stopped loading (I'll double check NG on my own chipped Wii again to make sure it STILL works),and perhaps see if a way to get region free games again

I've just read about NSMB game and I see why it works on my own console but not parents nonchipped wii....if there is no chip installed then the iso MUST be patched before burning....if there is a chip, then it plays fine with the recent loader versions. So that explains that one.

Still at a loss to why my system menu works fine though and the Neogamma loader one doesnt work any more.

Is there any particular reason/advantage to using neogamma compared to cioscorp? as cioscorp using the regular disc channel is certainly a lot more noob friendly...unless compatability is better?

Just read this...

NeoGamma always timeouts after cIOSCORP installation - GBAtemp.net

So according to that it looks like installing Rev16 stops cios and neogamma from coexisting. Hmmmm wonder if I ever checked neogamma AFTER running that rev16...after all I was mainly after it running from the sys menu at the time after confirming it worked prev in neo gamma.

Just got a game copying to the usb stick at the mo then will try out neogamma in my own console to see if it is still borked

But looking at that.....cioscorp - plus gecko - may be a better solution?

update....just tried my own chipped Wii. Neogamma STILL works on it - so dont' know how much truth there is in that thread. Worth trying the steps I said above though and stop at first at the point before I installed cioscorp etc...and then try directly after cioscorp but before rev16 etc

Last edited:
Finally got USB loading working on our Wii, off a 16GB memory stick and now getting ready to try the external HD enclosure I bought for a spare 250GB HD I had

Using Confugurable USB Loader which was a doddle to set-up and install, using the forwarder so I can update the main dol and just run from the main menu, BUT you need to leave the SD card in. No big issue

Tried wiiflow and USBLoader GX but couldn't get to grips with them and they wouldn't 'see' my memory stick for some reason. Yes, it was/is formatted to WBFS and yes it was in the correct USB port

Ran Wii Mario Land straight away from memory stick, loaded instantly. USB is the future ......

Running 4.2e firmware, with cios 3.6 and CIOS38 v16

Finally got USB loading working on our Wii, off a 16GB memory stick and now getting ready to try the external HD enclosure I bought for a spare 250GB HD I had

Using Confugurable USB Loader which was a doddle to set-up and install, using the forwarder so I can update the main dol and just run from the main menu, BUT you need to leave the SD card in. No big issue

Tried wiiflow and USBLoader GX but couldn't get to grips with them and they wouldn't 'see' my memory stick for some reason. Yes, it was/is formatted to WBFS and yes it was in the correct USB port

Ran Wii Mario Land straight away from memory stick, loaded instantly. USB is the future ......

Running 4.2e firmware, with cios 3.6 and CIOS38 v16

no you dont need to leave the sd card in what you do is

format the hdd to fat32

make a folder called wbfs on the hdd to store your games in

get config usbloader forwarder and install it through the wad manager

copy all the config usbloader files to hdd root

then put a dvd game in the wii press plus on wiimote and install game repeat until all games are on the hdd then press 1 on the wiimote then 2 and select download all missing covers, get a drink and then when you come back all the games will have nice covers to select from.

edogg

no you dont need to leave the sd card in what you do is

format the hdd to fat32

make a folder called wbfs on the hdd to store your games in

get config usbloader forwarder and install it through the wad manager

copy all the config usbloader files to hdd root

then put a dvd game in the wii press plus on wiimote and install game repeat until all games are on the hdd then press 1 on the wiimote then 2 and select download all missing covers, get a drink and then when you come back all the games will have nice covers to select from.

edogg

Interesting....

at the moment, I have USB Loader installed from a wad to the system menu....version r877. It loads fine without memory card (2 games installed on my test 4gb USB Stick).....but without a memory card there is no game covers......it seems the memory card is what stores the photos of the games. So are you seeing I need to uninstall USb Loader and install "config usb loader forwarder"?

Also, I did try and have it use my existing partition in FAT32 as the new versions are meant to support NTFS and Fat32 but it bombed out with a black debug screen every time I tried to copy a game to the hdd, and when I then choose to format it seems to have used that HBFS format as its unreadable on the pc natively

no config usbloader_forwarder is a channel on the wii menu the boot.dol needs to be changed for cfg50_fat.dol then rename it boot.dol
you will need the config usbloader forwarder.wad in the wad folder

this is a list of the files/folders from config usbloader you need on your hdd root
folder
usb-loader
codes
covers
resources
themes
background
background_wide
Cfgloaderconfigurator
config
titles
folder