US treasury stockpiles billions in flawed $100 bills

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
How bizzare is this

US treasury stockpiles billions in flawed $100 bills

BBC News - US treasury stockpiles billions in flawed $100 bills

The redesigned bill, shown here in promotional materials, still bears Benjamin Franklin's face Continue reading the main story
Related stories
Why the US keeps minting coins people hate and won't use
US money adds a splash of colour
US issues new colour $20 bill
A printing error has forced the US to stockpile $110bn (£69.78bn) in new $100 notes until officials can sort and destroy the flawed bills.

A snag in the printing process left up to 30% of the notes with a blank patch on the face, US network CNBC reported.

Officials are working to devise a mechanical process to sort the flawed bills. Doing so by hand would take up to 30 years, officials said.

The new, high-security notes were to begin circulating in February 2011.

"We are confident that a very high proportion of the notes will be fit for circulation," Treasury Department spokeswoman Darlene Anderson said.

The bills, which represent an estimated one-tenth of the value of all US currency in circulation, are being held in US government facilities in Washington DC and Fort Worth in the state of Texas.

They are the latest in a series of redesigns of US currency intended to fight counterfeiting. The bills are also the first to bear the signature of President Barack Obama's Treasury Secretary, Timothy Geithner.

US news media reported the high-quality cotton and linen fibre stock creased during production of some of the bills, yielding a portion that was not printed.

if anyones bothered on here as its yank money but this is what the new one looks like.

hundred.jpg

not much of a change to the old one bar a bit of colour and a 3d hologram strip.

if anyones bothered on here as its yank money but this is what the new one looks like.

hundred.jpg

not much of a change to the old one bar a bit of colour and a 3d hologram strip.

Yes I know that No-One will care here - certainly I dont but it was just the size of the fu*kup I wanted to highlight

30 years to sort out manually :proud:

TBH, id send them out.. what is the point in wasting more money on something that is barely visible to the eye??

I'm presuming they're on about the light patch on the forehead??

TBH, id send them out.. what is the point in wasting more money on something that is barely visible to the eye??

I'm presuming they're on about the light patch on the forehead??

not so sure the money pictured is the flawed money, from reading about it i gain that the product used to print on had a crease in it which left a bare area to a awful lot that was printed (afaik it wasnt spotted when it was being printed hence the amount done).

i think the picture is how its supposed to look so the faulty money will look different to the pictured one as there will be a bare patch on it somewhere around the face.

Back