Upgrading Cams To Latest Version

bert1

Member ++
Reaction score
Been playing round with my tm9100 trying to update cams and keys but with little success......

I did successfully update (ftp) latest keys by ftp and thought by simply restarting cam id be able to open some extra chans...but no joy ...

Do you have to have latest cam in order for it to work? -

Would someone be good enough to post a tut as to how to get the receiver to acknowledge the latest cam version....like i say ive tried ftping and got the latest version in same area as existing versions on the pc screen of tm9100-when i go to install cams menu on box itself -its still the original stuff there only.....

cheers
bert

The actual cam file will be in /var/bin or /var/bin/emu. It will be called mgcamd or evocamd or cccam etc.. To update the cam, simply replace this file and chmod 755. It might not allow you to replace the cam while it's in use...you will need to stop it from running first.

Telnet to the box and type...

killall -9 mgcamd

...and it should stop it. If not, simpy start another cam then replace the file then activate it again.

If you have copied over new keys, you'll need to reactivate the cam or reboot the box. Remember to chmod 755 the key files as well.

Mgcamd_1.23 and 1.24 are probably the best emu to use at the moment, these are the ones that open Premiere, TPS, D+, etc. Previous versions of this emu don't open these packages. The emu doesn't auto update so you will need to manually transfer over the keys every time they run out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks m8....that explains it...the default mgcamd in my tm 9100 is v1.22

would u elaborate as to what chmod 755 is please ? ...not a clue what this means but ive seen it or certainly the no 755 in amongst the files....

No probs updating keys manually - used to run a dragon...just trying to move with the times now LOL

Using your ftp client, right click the file a select Attributes or Properties or Chmod (depends on what client you have) and make sure the 3 execute boxes are checked. That should make the number 755. It's to set the file permissions.

You can also do it via telnet by going to the folder where the file is and type...

chmod 755 mgcamd

Cheers for that Devilfish- Im almost there.....

I can see mgcamd124 on my tv display in add on manager - it shows /var used 27%-it had been defaulting to a .cz add on which when i pressed to install i was told insufficient space.....

now....
when i highlight mgcamd124 and press yellow for manual install ...

pop up drop down is empty - green button for install is available but can not do anything more from here.....

any advice welcome m8....

just an afterthought...- the cam was in a zipped folder -did i need to transfer the zipped folder in its entirety ?.I only transferred the .ppc file....
cheers
bert

Last edited:
Usually the emu will come in a .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz file. Copy this to the /tmp folder and install via the addons menu.

Alternatively, take the mgcamd.ppc file, remove the .ppc extention and overwrite the file that's in /var/bin. It will still say version *** whatever it is in the emu manager but you have overwritten it with the version you want so you know what it is.

i take it by removing ppc extn and overwriting- my tv screen display will always show it as v1.22 but the config behind it is the latest 1.24 ? is that the idea ?

too heavy for me now m8 ,enuff 4 1 day....and the cricket is starting (hopefulluy)

Bert

Ye that's it, you've got it.

Sometimes it's easier if you can download en emu via the download menus on the image, doesn't matter what version it is, just that it gets installed properly. Then you can overwrite the file with whatever version you want. :)

Remember to chmod 755 if you are overwriting a file.

thanks m80....will get there someday but no extra chans yet.....

let u know how i get on ........

bert to save your frustrations and get some pictures on your tv,use the newest image either juliet/ur and you can download straight from the net to your 9100.you get mgcamd1.23 or 1.24 which i personally use and it auto updates tps/premiere but you will need daily keys updated for d+.
to auto update tps go to france4 or 5 channel on hotbird.
hope you get some pictures soon.

thanks for info m8 but updating keys is not the major issue.....i did it manually b4 i had a linux box.....its the config and software to get the set up i want that i need to understand...

i have latest image (UR06) that is freely available but 1st need to understand more as im sure the tm9100 does a few odd things regarding file updates and transfers . this is confirmed by another very reputable member here too.

so my not knowing what i should be doing and this could be a lethal combination -hence many questions...also as im trying conventional download i get error for insufficient memory yet only 27% is utilised so i draw a blank for now.

ur06 only brings version 1.22 with it-so forced to do some sort of upgrade outside of emu/images...the drop down menu is blank when u look to activate a new cam on tv screen after ftp-there is an issue with this together with file placement but leave it for guy who found it and knows far more than i do to elaborate.

its all his work -once theres an answer im sure he'll post- in meantime.trying devilfish's method as solution for now...

im quite new to the 9100 and its workings also,
but im managing the cams ,config not too bad for a newbie,
im sure youll also get there with a bit of help
devilfish is certainly your man for these types of box.

regards,
brickie

@Devilfish-will u cast an eye please

I am trying to update mgcamd using the second of ur methods m8......

First of all-is the removal of the ppc extension because u cant have 2 files named the exact same ?

I have mgcamd 122.ppc file in my tm9100 but it is really 124- and i can tell by the increased file size...i took the original mgcamd122.ppc file out of box to desktop.Then i removed the ppc extn of that original file. Then I renamed the download for v124 to mgcamd122.ppc and transferred that back to the box. Rebooted and redownloaded the cam via the green button plus the softcam file.......but still cant clear d+....

have i totally c**ked this up or am i wrongly overwriting stuff in my procedure ?

The softcam file being updated is in var/keys.....is there another key or softcam file in the mgcamd file somewhere that needs updating?.........

I have now got a dragon working in this and so should be able to clear by that method but it defeats object as idea is for me to change keys remotely for someone that has even less of an idea of all this than i do...LOL

any tips appreciated m8

You pretty much got it m8.

On PC...

Download mgcamd_1.22 via the green button and it should install it itself.
Download mgcamd_1.24 from where ever you can.
Remane the mgcamd124.ppc file to mgcamd122.ppc and copy it to /var/bin and overwrite the existing mgcamd122.ppc file.
Chmod 755 the new mgcamd122.ppc file.
Make sure you copy the new mg_cfg file to /var/keys from the new 1.24 zip. Don't leave the old 1.22 version there.
Go to /var/keys and copy the mg_cfg file to your PC. Edit this section from {01{ to {04)

# key update (sum 01 or 02 with 04)
# 01 update only new keys, default setting
# 02 update all keys (used for valid PMK checking)
# 04 enable TPS au
U: { 04 }
On 9100...

Press BLUE button, use left and right buttons to change the Default Softcam to Mgcamd [1.22] then press green to save.
You should get a message saying 'Starting Mgcamd [1.22]' or something like that.

Now you will need to edit the softcam.key file in /var/keys with the latest keys, or simply copy over the softcam.key file. TPS should auto update so go to France 4 and it should clear within 10 seconds. Premiere, D+, Multivision, will need the keys in the softcam.key file, these won't auto update. D+ keys change twice daily so make sure you have the most recent keys. Once you copy the keys over, you need to restart the cam again (BLUE > GREEN).

=====================

I know you said you've done most of this but I just wanted to type it out in full incase anyone else was starting from scratch. :)

You'll get there m8.

Last edited:
Nice One........its the config bit that I haven't done........

fingers crossed.......

Bert

Devilfish-Im still struggling m8- to summarise

Ive overwritten the ppc files in bin and set to 755
I,ve overwritten the cfg file in keys-these are set at 644.....

I've taken the latest softcam file that ramraider / pinks uploaded and overwritten the softcam file in keys with it..........
rebooted and

still not clearing anything extra.......

A download from the panel via green button ,i assume takes me back to square 1 ??

cheers for guidance

What packages are you trying to clear...exactly?

I've just read that D+ keys haven't changed in a few days. This is unusual as they normally change twice daily. That's why new softcam.key files haven't been uploaded. This probably means that they are going to change the cards or encryption method or keyroll method so we might not be getting D+ for much longer.

Back