Upgrade of bootloader

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle DM800HD needs to be reflashed, as far as I am aware its running BL75 and SIM 2.01

Can I upgrade the bootloader to more recent version ?

Another quickie as I am here, do most image have the bootloader embedded within the nfi file or do I need to update the bootloader as a seperate process.

If it's SIM 2.01 then yes you should be able to upgrade to a newer bootloader. Not all images have the bootlaoder integrated so to be onm the safe side, dont reboot after flashing the image, flash the SSL bootlaoder after the image then reboot.

If it's SIM 2.01 then yes you should be able to upgrade to a newer bootloader. Not all images have the bootlaoder integrated so to be onm the safe side, dont reboot after flashing the image, flash the SSL bootlaoder after the image then reboot.

any place where one can get a copy of the ssl bl files.

any place where one can get a copy of the ssl bl files.

Yes mate in downlaods section in the below thread, newest SSL84 and 84a for SIM2.01 DM800HD (NON SE).

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that

so I am correct in thinking... the SIM is important as you have to flash an image that supports the SIM - flashing a different SIM version will render the box into a door stopper.

You can upgrade bootloader without any problems.

Is this the method to use, flash nfi file over web browser, dont close web browser, flash bootloader file and then reboot box. One assumes the flash process will determine if the file is a bootloader or a nfi image file.

I should really get a 800HD box as all my messing around has been on a DM500S - but the other half wont allow me to buy a box, I could go behind her back and get one but then I will be living my life with one eye open.

No...the correct SSL is more important than the image. Because if you flash a incorrect image, as long as the SSL is intact you can boot into STOP mode and reflash a correct image via browser.
If you use the wrong SSL i.e: from a different SIM type you can on the worst case scenario brick the SIM. In which case you will have to buy a new SIM. Or you may be able to recover a valid SSL via DreamUP if the box still responds.

" Is this the method to use, flash nfi file over web browser, dont close web browser, flash bootloader file and then reboot box. One assumes the flash process will determine if the file is a bootloader or a nfi image file. "

yes thats right, im not sure about the structure of .nfi files, but the reciever knows the difference between SSL and image file, maybe there is certain flash address ranges in the .nfi structure where it tells the reciever which memory address ranges in flash to begin from....e.g: the start of the flash holds the SSL, the remaining flash the image. Not too sure..

Back