Unluckiest car buyer (ESP help)

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
Bought myself a 05 plate golf mk5 se tdi and have had nothing but problems.

Don't laugh but here is what’s happened

1. The bonnet release cable (ball part) snapped so had to remove front bumper & grill to unlock the bonnet, then buy the parts and had more trouble trying to find a good way of feeding it through to the inside. SORTED

2. Did not notice but a bracket was missing behind the headlight meaning the light wobbling meaning a mot failure. WAITING FOR PART.

3. The Heater motor went so no air for the inside, with the change in wet weather I cant see, cloth at the ready lol, after buying a Haynes manual I decided to buy one second hand of ebay £32 + £6 delivery (£140 @ VW), got it last week, decided to take it to a garage instead as it is located behind the glove box and didn’t want to try it. Garage owner who is a friend of my dads did not charge but I came back to hear that the fan is not working properly and only goes on setting 4 and makes allot of noise.

I took the car back home and decided to remove the panels myself and take a look at it only to find some of the blades snapped of, obviously he never put it in right arghhhhh. I got another one of ebay coming soon, I will do it myself this time.

4 Driving on the motorway and my cruise control wasn’t coming on, all of a sudden my esp light came on (car with 2 zigzag lines) and the esp off switch lit up, after trying several things I read online (stay a 6mph full lock to left then right might reset) no luck. It could be a few things, faulty sensor (a few to pick), corrosion in the plug for the haldex control unit, I can’t remember where I read but it could need a new unit costing £1500 from vw.

I haven’t got vag com so I will have to take it to be diagnosed I guess?

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left and/or Sensor Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right and/or Sensor Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Left and/or Sensor Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Right and/or Sensor Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- ABS Control Module and/or Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- Steering Angle Sensor and/or Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- Lateral Acceleration Sensor and/or Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor and/or Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- Brake Pressure Sensor and/or Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- Brake Light Switch and/or Wiring/Connector(s) faulty
- Engine Fault Code which causes ABS misbehavior

Any help would be grateful.

that car has been in a smash and has had a new front end on it
get rid - and buy something else

that car has been in a smash and has had a new front end on it
get rid - and buy something else

To be honest (I've tried unsuccessfully to fix my way out of crappy cars) it is really best to cut your losses quickly & run away FAST.

Clean & polish the car (clean wheels, fresh smelling interior & shiny paint do count for a lot) and sell it, Ebay, Auto-trader or trade it in as quick as you can.

It may have not had a smash but it may have been jump-started & had it's electrics fried, or perhaps someone tried to install a stereo (and short circuited something) one never knows. To put things in perspective I had an air-ride problem a few years ago, it took the mechanics 14 hours to locate the section of wire that had gone bad.

Pretend your car is a brand new girlfriend who tells you that her friends think you should spend more money on her (on the second date).... run like the wind.

Trade it in for a new motor ( AFTER YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD GARAGE TELL YOU THE DAMAGE £££££££ )

If the heater was faulty and a Friend of your dads was fixing it for free he might of rushed the work its possible he might of snapped the fan if it was right under the glove box,

It costs 25 quid for a computer diagnosis at most garages do that first see what pops up' then get a quote of 3 different garages for the work then you should have some idea where you stand.

sensors are a TW@t and can be expensive and oftern garages will change the wrong one but any modern garage with a computer would sort you out and fix the right one ?

If you get bad news off a garage and the pounds are gonna run up trade it in.

don't pay for work unless its fixes your problem shame your not near Newcastle I know a great small garage no fix no fee.

Last edited:
bin it m8..............if u have these probs now, who knows whats down the road when u really need those bits to function properly

As said m8, freshen it up and get shot of it..It sounds like a bad one you won't get the money you put in to it back.

how much did u pay for this if u dont mind me askin cause 05 plate..did u do a check on the car before..mayb worth still doin one to c what comes back on it..

get shot of it m8

i bought a car for £5k, in 18 months spent another £5k on repairs before scrapping it for £200, search DW for deawoo tacuma to read my nightmare

get shot of it m8

i bought a car for £5k, in 18 months spent another £5k on repairs before scrapping it for £200, search DW for deawoo tacuma to read my nightmare

but your loaded so it doesnt matter to people like yourself.. only jokin bud..way to read your post.. my mate dumb ass **** got bumped off 10 grand bout 4-5 year ago..took a loan out to pay for it and never seen the guy coming..paid threw that western transfer i think its called..long story to it like but the stupid **** thought it was too good a deal to refuse for an audi a4..nothing he could do but learn a dear lesson..

Hi, the esp light went of again when on the motorway, it lets me turn it on and off again, plus my cruise control works. I only paid £5000 for it and knew the bonnet release problem that’s why he lowered it by £200.

I have got hold of another heater motor within the next few days, so ill see how that goes. The problem with selling it now is only last week I paid out for a service and a cam belt, water pump change. I also spent money on new gt tdi mats, new outside body coloured handles, Haynes manual lol, parts for upgrading the lowline to highline cluster, so on.

It going to a local garage tomorrow because since I had the cam belt done I am getting a clunking noise when I start to move off, stop or reverse was told the mountain wasn’t put on right. I am no mechanic or know nothing about cars to be honest.

If I have any more trouble I might just stick it in a local auction.

The only checks I did was HPI I did have my step dad to look at the car and had no problems (apart from bonnet) when I purchased it.

Hi, the esp light went of again when on the motorway, it lets me turn it on and off again, plus my cruise control works. I only paid £5000 for it and knew the bonnet release problem that’s why he lowered it by £200.

I have got hold of another heater motor within the next few days, so ill see how that goes. The problem with selling it now is only last week I paid out for a service and a cam belt, water pump change. I also spent money on new gt tdi mats, new outside body coloured handles, Haynes manual lol, parts for upgrading the lowline to highline cluster, so on.

It going to a local garage tomorrow because since I had the cam belt done I am getting a clunking noise when I start to move off, stop or reverse was told the mountain wasn’t put on right. I am no mechanic or know nothing about cars to be honest.

If I have any more trouble I might just stick it in a local auction.

The only checks I did was HPI I did have my step dad to look at the car and had no problems (apart from bonnet) when I purchased it.

OUCH dont drive it any where till you get that cam bet checked out of a mobile mechanic' or phone the garage the fitted it and explain you want them to send someone out to double check the belt and timing etc ( DONT DRIVE IT ) if sommick goes you wont be selling it in the local auction you will be scrapping it.

Back