unable to get network working

den456

Inactive User
Reaction score
on the road to nowhere hoping to get somewhere.
some help from you fine people on digi would be great.
firstly i have attempted to set up a network between two comps via a crossover network cable, tought i was getting there as i could use the internet ok on both at same time but could not print from second comp so in my wisdom i thought id play around and try and fix it but have made matters worse. Now all has been lost have tried starting from scratch again but still nothing working pulling hair out now!!!!! and havent got that much left ...
:Kickassro :Kickassro :CRYBABY:

Well if you got it working already once that means your ip addresses etc are setup correctly, try going Control Panel and running Network Setup Wizard this should get you started... Remember to share your printer you have to enable sharing this is done by clicking on the printer properties and enabling sharing for it. Hope this helps... There are loads of tutorials online just try google.

Are they both xp machines ? If so simplest way is to run internet connection share wizard, but this time when you get the workgroup name alter it to something other than the default, make sure you use the same name on both machines though.

I also find it help's to disable any secondary firewalls you have running and have the machine that connects to the internet connected ;)

Good luck, let's know how you get on and I'm sure together we can all work it out ;)

wireless is the easiest solution I found it takes seconds to fit up.I run a Xbox360,2 x Desktops ,1 Laptop and will be setting up a printer for the 3 Comps to use.

Of course make sure the wireless router is WEP enabled or WPA which is a bit more advanced.:flags24:

Set up the pc as follows

On the computer running the internet connection run the home or small office network wizard. Make sure u select to turn on file and print sharing

This will set your pc's ip address to 192.168.0.1 (hopefully, just double check in the tcp/ip settings of the network adapter)

Next set up your folder and printer shares

On the second run the home or small office network wizard. Select that the pc will connect through another pc on the network. Again turn on file and print sharing.

Set your folder and printer shares.

To test connectivity use the ping command from the command prompt.

Install the printer on the second pc using the printer setup wizard. Just use the browse the network option

Thanks for all your replies peeps, have managed to get internat running again after much hassell dont know what i was doing wrong but its working. but still can not print from second comp have loaded printer drivers ans have shared it but to no avail.. any ideas much apreciated..........
just had a thought would the fact that im running printer through usb hub matter??????
:Doc: :Doc:

usb hub no it wont make a difference

u dont need to load drivers to the second machine, u dont even need to go to printer setup.

on the machine that has the printer connected make sure it is shared in the properties, on the other machine use explorer and explore to the other machine when u see the all the things u have shared directories print etc etc right click on the printer and one of the options is connect click that and the machine will do the rest, a few seconds later the printer should show up on the second machine.

if u dont see it when u explore to the other machine then u havent shared it properly.

ok must be getting there can now send files programmes from first too second be cannot still seem to print from second. no printer installed on second and cant access first comp from second but ok other way around.
when i try and access first from second it shows first comp in workgroup says its not accesable you might not have permission the network path was not found. i have allowed all hard drive from first to be shared.
:Cheers:

sorry dutcho i think im missing point here printer is already installed on main pc cant seem to access first (main comp) from slave (second). but everything ok other way around main can acess everything on second!...
All settings shared and have given all hard drives permisson to slave..
:Cheers: :Cheers:

:banana:

OK goto second pc and select add printer, this brings up the wizard then tell it you want a networked printer, it should then scan your network and display all printers, then add the one you want ;)

den456 said:
some help from you fine people on digi would be great.
firstly i have attempted to set up a network between two comps via a crossover network cable, tought i was getting there as i could use the internet ok on both at same time but could not print from second comp so in my wisdom i thought id play around and try and fix it but have made matters worse. Now all has been lost have tried starting from scratch again but still nothing working pulling hair out now!!!!! and havent got that much left ...
:Kickassro :Kickassro :CRYBABY:

this is going to sound daft but my local shop to me this and it works for me.

1' switch cable modem off, yes off
2' run network wizard on main machine
3' run network wizard on second machine
4' reboot both computers
5' switch modam back on

hopefully this will come in handy in the furture

ok dutcho tried that wont search for printer or wont find any, cant figure checked that printer is shared but have also tried getting any file from server but cant get anything from server and have shared everthing must be missing something somewhere. internet connection working fine and email. can get /send files docs to slave from server ok as well......

:BLOBBY:

Have u tried turning your firewall off to see if it makes a difference. Obviously if it does switch it back on and reconfigure it

Back