TV Show "Skint"

Don't see anything wrong with mandatory community work but if this work is there,why is there nobody already doing it,or is work just going to be invented?

Also wont it cost more money by requiring somebody to supervise plus the cost of insurance etc that would be needed?

You would be surprised to see how many people complain and say it's slave labour and refusing to do charity/voluntary work
It's mainly working in charity shops like BHF and Cancer Reaserch but there are some local projects with schools and the local parks department

You would be surprised to see how many people complain and say it's slave labour and refusing to do charity/voluntary work
It's mainly working in charity shops like BHF and Cancer Reaserch but there are some local projects with schools and the local parks department

That's worthwhile but unfortunately you will get businesses using these schemes to line there pockets,and this then has a knock on effect to the people who are offered these jobs,

Until such time the whole system is overhauled,fairly,then nothing much will change,

It will probably take a whole generation until you get rid of the work shy benefit cheats,but in fairness we only have ourselves to blame as we allowed the current system to flourish for so long,

Tbh it needs to start at the beginning for all new claimants,and then gradually introduce it from there,without penalising those people who really need these benefits

Tbh it needs to start at the beginning for all new claimants,and then gradually introduce it from there,without penalising those people who really need these benefits

Either you know about the welfare to work sector or that was one hell of a guess!

It's started with the new claimants but just the 16-24 year olds with no work experience but we're coming up to the 104 weeks of the work Programme and those that go back to JCP will also be required to do this. Those that complete the 104 weeks without finding work will also find themselves having to sign on daily but will also have to attend JCP and other menu partners with a view to get them into volunteer work.

The deal with this contract is that they can ONLY be sent to non profit organisations.

I really don't like the term "benefit cheat" (although I've used it myself) because in all honesty this country has allowed it to happen. JSA is supposed to be a temp fund to get people through an unemployed period but as we know it's been taken advantage of but that's because it's not been monitored in the right way

Either you know about the welfare to work sector or that was one hell of a guess!

It's started with the new claimants but just the 16-24 year olds with no work experience but we're coming up to the 104 weeks of the work Programme and those that go back to JCP will also be required to do this. Those that complete the 104 weeks without finding work will also find themselves having to sign on daily but will also have to attend JCP and other menu partners with a view to get them into volunteer work.

The deal with this contract is that they can ONLY be sent to non profit organisations.

I really don't like the term "benefit cheat" (although I've used it myself) because in all honesty this country has allowed it to happen. JSA is supposed to be a temp fund to get people through an unemployed period but as we know it's been taken advantage of but that's because it's not been monitored in the right way

Surely it is not just non profit making organisations, what about Connexions ? This has been proven many times to be a complete sham and has been used by large national companies to get free and or very low paid workers with supposedly apprenticeships and job promises that never materialised and even many of the training courses used by Connexions were proven to be totally useless and a scam in everything but name.
The problems aren't really with the general framework of the benefit system, but with the entitlement criteria and the assessment and background checking of claimants. Because these have not been properly managed there is now a great strain on the system and the knee jerk reaction has been to pick on the easy targets to produce results and the easy targets within the system are those who are honest and have worked and contributed to the system. Because these people have a work ethic and are not au fait with their entitlements and rights they have become the easy target for harassment and bullying to force them out of the system. Yet, the obvious and blatantly fraudulent claimants are ignored because it would be an effort and take extra staff and time to deal with these miscreants.
Sections that do need looking at at the ways in which alcholics, junkies and ex-convicts are handled. Awarding alcholics and junkies DLA really does not help other than to provide them with extra money to feed their habits, when in fact the system should be providing de-tox placements and rehabilitation. And as an extreme example of warped ruling within the system, a criminal released from prison (therefore now ex-criminal) has priority in many homing schemes and when rehomed then becomes one of the few groups eligible for a Community Care Grant to furnish, carpet and decorate their new home and even claim for new clothing on the grant which is not repayable !!!
Why do I say this is warped ? Well that ex-criminal could have been in prison for defrauding the benefit system and then come out and then ligitimately claim a large non repayable sum from the system he has robbed !!!

Surely it is not just non profit making organisations, what about Connexions ? This has been proven many times to be a complete sham and has been used by large national companies to get free and or very low paid workers with supposedly apprenticeships and job promises that never materialised and even many of the training courses used by Connexions were proven to be totally useless and a scam in everything but name.
The problems aren't really with the general framework of the benefit system, but with the entitlement criteria and the assessment and background checking of claimants. Because these have not been properly managed there is now a great strain on the system and the knee jerk reaction has been to pick on the easy targets to produce results and the easy targets within the system are those who are honest and have worked and contributed to the system. Because these people have a work ethic and are not au fait with their entitlements and rights they have become the easy target for harassment and bullying to force them out of the system. Yet, the obvious and blatantly fraudulent claimants are ignored because it would be an effort and take extra staff and time to deal with these miscreants.
Sections that do need looking at at the ways in which alcholics, junkies and ex-convicts are handled. Awarding alcholics and junkies DLA really does not help other than to provide them with extra money to feed their habits, when in fact the system should be providing de-tox placements and rehabilitation. And as an extreme example of warped ruling within the system, a criminal released from prison (therefore now ex-criminal) has priority in many homing schemes and when rehomed then becomes one of the few groups eligible for a Community Care Grant to furnish, carpet and decorate their new home and even claim for new clothing on the grant which is not repayable !!!
Why do I say this is warped ? Well that ex-criminal could have been in prison for defrauding the benefit system and then come out and then ligitimately claim a large non repayable sum from the system he has robbed !!!

Ex convicts and the likes should have to prove there worth/value and gain respect from the community before being pampered with free this and free that. So crime really does pay then does it mate?. It certainly looks that way. In the meantime the innocent and needy claimants get sod all just pushed back in to work that doesn't exist. Get today's youth off the streets and into work first if there are any jobs, after all they are supposed to be the future. At this present time God help us all.

Don't see anything wrong with mandatory community work but if this work is there,why is there nobody already doing it,or is work just going to be invented?

Also wont it cost more money by requiring somebody to supervise plus the cost of insurance etc that would be needed?

Did you see the childcare minder/child ratio recently ? This has great potential, every which way.;)

If we accept that very few deserve money for nothing then there MUST be a way of getting a contribution in return.

Okay, some companies will try to take advantage but there are many ways claimants could contribute and the real cost of managing this would also create jobs and likely be a better investment than a lot of the other stupid opportunities I see every day.

There's a massive shortfall in caring - are we saying that there are NO claimants who could tidy up old people's gardens, show them how to use e-mail, nip to the shops etc?

I don't believe this for a single second...

If we accept that very few deserve money for nothing then there MUST be a way of getting a contribution in return.

Okay, some companies will try to take advantage but there are many ways claimants could contribute and the real cost of managing this would also create jobs and likely be a better investment than a lot of the other stupid opportunities I see every day.

There's a massive shortfall in caring - are we saying that there are NO claimants who could tidy up old people's gardens, show them how to use e-mail, nip to the shops etc?

I like what you are saying HH, but I would also like to point out there are many unpaid "carers" out there who because the person they care for is not deemed to meet the criteria required for full disability payment, therefore do not qualify to claim carer's allowance and do the caring for the love and consideration of the person who is usually a family member and more often than not the spouse but can on occassion be a sibling.
This used to be called family commitment and was the expected thing, but back then they were not pestered to "actively search for work" while also caring for the disabled family member. Perhaps if they included these people as working and paid a national insurance premium for them it would save everyone time and money in the long run.

Great idea but what about the expense involved in setting this up and you would also need some form of public liability insurance in case of accidents,

But there are already people doing the above,they are called good neighbours or family :)

Back