turn pc into recording receiver

johnbhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just quick query...If anyone knows or can point me in right direction

Its it possible to buy one of these
http://www.maxking.com/shopcart/product.php?productid=16163&cat=253&page=1

fit it to your pc. Have software on the pc.... MythTV ??? and have it let you watch encrypted channels..... ie basically can you put software on the pc that will work in the same way that software work on Dboxs and technomates etc.

Basically looking to make a cheap recording capable unit that i can watch either satelitte tv or cable tv on. (obviously link is for sat card)

ta

Hi there

Yes it is possible to do this. You need to use ALT-DVB or ProgDVB (to name a few!) with a software emulator (S2emu, Yanksee, V-Plugin etc) and then use a SoftCAM.key file.

The emulator reads the keys from the file and allows you to view the encrypted channels.

ALT-DVB records the movies as TS streams (Transport Stream - a form of Mpeg2) and ProgDVB records as Mpeg2 automatically.

I tend to use ALT-DVB as it useless less cpu overheads and then VideoRedoPlus to convert the TS directly to VOB (DVD format).

If you want a cheaper supplier and have a Ebay/Paypal account I can let you know of the German supplier to sold me my card, only cost £45 inc P&P and the guy can speak English and has his own support forum for products sold in his shop.

OR

Another way of doing this is to purchase a Dreambox C or S (cable/satellite), which uses a Linux OS, which can be configured to allow you to record......mind you they start from approx £150+.

Can confirm that chrome 307's method is an excellent approach.

Been using Nexus card for years. This is equivalent to Systar 1 same principle as Skystar 2 but has hardware mode facility, uses less CPU power and you can link to VCR or video sender. More expensive though.

Hi
Well i am using my PC as receiver. The PC is:
600MHz Cpu
SS2 card + dxr3 (as MPEG decoder--and tv output)
The operating sistem is Linux.
Software is VDR.
PC is allowing me to watch DVD DVB Divx on my tv(OSD is displayed by dxr3).
VDR have supprot for Newcamd, NewCS, gbox, , camd35, satbazaar and other protocols. There are many people using VDR ;>
http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/people.htm

Regards

Back