Trojan Bookmarker E

C

chesterrrr

I have just installed Norton Antivirus on my PC.
I have done a scan and the scan results say I have the virus called Trojan Bookmarker E on my computer and it is 'residing' in my Windows folder on my hard drive. Norton Antivirus cannot delete the file or 'quarantine' it. I have tried to delete the file myself and it wont be deleted . 'Access denied' my computer says . And the file can't be dragged into the Recycle Bin .

So I now need a program to remove it . Can anyone suggest one ?

start u computer in safe mode if xp hold f8 when booting
this uses minimum drivers u may be able to delete it then :)

removal instructions;

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Run a full system scan and record the file names detected as Trojan.Bookmarker.E.
Restart the computer in Safe mode.
Search for the detected .dll file (Usually cpan.dll).
Rename the file and the extension.
Restart the computer in Safe mode.
Delete the value that was added to the registry.
Run a full system scan and delete the files detected as Trojan.Bookmarker.E.
Reset the Internet Explorer Home page.
Reset the Internet Explorer Search page.
Remove the links from the Favorites folder.
Removing DNS entries added to Windows hosts file.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

FURTHER-HELP:
[DLMURL]http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.bookmarker.e.html[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

I will follow Gareth's instructions. I know enough to be able to delete the file which seems to be causing all sorts of problems to Internet Explorer and seems to be effecting other things on my computer.

I'll let you know if I successfully remove the beggar and I will let you know if all the other things stop happening once I've removed it.

Back