Tragically, some people earning £50k or more...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...seem to think they are badly off

.there's a lot would love £50k to 'manage' on. FFS, do what many of us do, look at where it goes and chop out the useless...
That's exactly what i did. I packed her a bag and shipped her off to her sister's

think it should stop being paid for kids that arnt even in the uk first but yer not a lot to lose if you are on 50k

its a good first step, now they need to stop paying it for kids not in the uk, then they need to look at capping it at x number of kids

so what about the couples who earn £40.000 each a year in the same household

how does that work???

i think it should be that any one house hold exceeds the £50.000 threshold should get the child benefit stopped

i think it should be that any one house hold exceeds the £50.000 threshold should get the child benefit stopped

this is the ideal solution but tricky to manage/prove

To be honest guys, you can have this argument all day long, but the fact still remains that having more money does not mean having more disposable income, in fact if anything you are likely to have more debt etc and whether you're on less or more the same principles apply when bringing up kids.

This is also balanced out with having a 40% tax bracket.

Perhaps we should talk about those solely on benefits, earn just as much without doing any work and play the system so well that they seem to suck this country dry and give nothing back.

That's not to say I don't agree with single salaries above 60k being stopped, but even then the actual amount is insignificant.

Last edited:
imho this is a hard one
firstly how can you stop the payment to people who earn 50k or more a year when they have worked or built up their business to get to that stage seems like they are being punished for working hard which is wrong
secondly how can you punish people like that when they pay the same money to people who are claiming for kids not even in the country and they dont even have to prove the kids are theirs which is wrong
but i do agree that if anything it should be reduced to say half of their current payment instead of being stopped then reduced the more you earn
something needs to be done with regards to out goings as it is getting well beyond a joke and with more joining the eu it can only get a lot worse and more payments going abroad
just my opinion

My thoughts on this, the people who earn 50K a year have paid taxes and have earned the right to receive the childcare allowance.

Where the government should be looking is the immigrants to get benefits as soon as they come into this country, the work shy, more stringent focus on disability allowances for those who are effectively playing the system.

Nick Clegg is probably some of the problem, he'll be wanting translators and special centres ready to get benefits to Roma invaders as quickly as possible.

Ok, so I thought I should bring the other perspective too.
I am one of those of who got "Badly" affected by the 50k (please pay special attention at double quotes)
Got 3 kids so it's a loss of 2k per years(without tax) and I have just filled the form to stop the Child Benefit as I would need to fill the assessment at the end of the year to return the money back anyways. So why bother?
Wife doesn't work, so the total house hold income is what I get from my job.
I understand what the Gov. Is trying here, that they want to remove the CB from families who don't need it. But, why the single income got the check here. My brother who earns around 25k and with wife working gets 50k and will still be eligible but I won't?
Perhaps I can't pinpoint the number , for example 50k, beyond which everyone should stop CB but that number should be household earning to start with.
It's just the fairness which gets mad otherwise I don't mind.
Life is not that difficult even with the cut and i could see i am better off than millions of people so I am still happy but that rule should be fixed.

Shani

Ok, so I thought I should bring the other perspective too.
I am one of those of who got "Badly" affected by the 50k (please pay special attention at double quotes)
Got 3 kids so it's a loss of 2k per years(without tax) and I have just filled the form to stop the Child Benefit as I would need to fill the assessment at the end of the year to return the money back anyways. So why bother?
Wife doesn't work, so the total house hold income is what I get from my job.
I understand what the Gov. Is trying here, that they want to remove the CB from families who don't need it. But, why the single income got the check here. My brother who earns around 25k and with wife working gets 50k and will still be eligible but I won't?
Perhaps I can't pinpoint the number , for example 50k, beyond which everyone should stop CB but that number should be household earning to start with.
It's just the fairness which gets mad otherwise I don't mind.
Life is not that difficult even with the cut and i could see i am better off than millions of people so I am still happy but that rule should be fixed.

Shani

A very balanced and intelligent post, as Shani states because his income the loss of the CB does not hurt him that badly, but likewise he is being penalised in comparison to a couple who both work and perhap earn £45K each so have a total income of £90K but are still eligble for CB.
Shani is being victimised because his wife stays at home to bring up the children and look after him (a proper old fashioned HouseWife) so, because his children are being brought up and looked after by his wife it makes it even more relevant that he should have priority of CB against a working couple because his wife is "working" for free bringing up the children.
As for CB for children who are abroad...................................WHY ?
If the child is not here why should they qualify for a benefit ?
This should be stopped immediately !!!

As for CB for children who are abroad...................................WHY ?
If the child is not here why should they qualify for a benefit ?
This should be stopped immediately !!!

it wont as the eu says they are entitled to it and the politicians do not have the back bone to tell them to get lost their taking the pish

While it's true that salary is no indicator of disposable income, it's also true that austerity has some way to go yet. Expect the vote on benefit capping across the board to be largely unopposed today, food prices are set to rise as a result of the weather and wages will largely stay the same or drop in real terms. If you can't cut your expenditure on £50k a year you can expect some pain and lessons in the difference between 'need' and 'want' as well as avoiding over-borrowing.

On the fairness front, tax systems haven't really kept pace with reality - a household is not really an entity to the taxman so, while it would be fairer to cap at household level, there appears to be no way of achieving this.

This recent recession has been different to others inasmuch as previously governments largely inflated their way out i.e. increased interest rates, increased spending on public sector and let wages rise. That gives the illusion of growth as consumers see their debt eroded and, as a result, spend more freely. This time we're seeing growth closer to how it really is - an unsustainable dribble.

Your political preference is irrelevant too as it matters not who is in power, successive governments have kept the electorate happy by borrowing from the future to provide a life-style we felt we deserved rather than had earned. Eventually someone has to pay the borrowings back. For the past few years it has been dumped in the laps of the young in the forms of university fees and unemployment and savers and pensioners in the form of low savings yields and poor returns on pensions. There's no point hitting the very rich as they can move their tax affairs somewhere more attractive and in any case, even if you took all their collective wealth away, it would be a drop in the ocean.

You can see at a glance where your money goes - here - and the largest chunks go on social care, running Goverment and the NHS. How much per day it costs you personally you can see here.

Not that it makes much difference if the outgoings exceed the income. That requires governments to borrow to fund the difference and there are limited borrowing options available, either from other nations or by printing money (QE). Both result in an interest bill - currently around £45b per annum.

It seems we're between a rock and a hard place, it's either going to hurt (austerity) or it's going to hurt a lot (bankruptcy like Greece)...

As several people have said the main issue with this is that its based on single income and not joint income. Surely the hmrc would have joint income details already, they will be clawing the child benefit back through increase in tax if you have not signed up to cancel the payment so there must information linking child benefit and income already by person already.

As several people have said the main issue with this is that its based on single income and not joint income. Surely the hmrc would have joint income details already, they will be clawing the child benefit back through increase in tax if you have not signed up to cancel the payment so there must information linking child benefit and income already by person already.

They have the records of everyone who is PAYE and everyone who has registered as Self-Employed, so yes it would be simple but HMRC don't do simple.
Before Child Tax Credits were introduced there was tax relief given automatically to those who had children, a simple system which as I say was given automatically.
Now Child Tax Credits are only given if you claim for them and the Claim form has been made so difficult that many do not apply and those that do are often later informed they have been incorrectly paid and now owe HMRC.
So why pay automatically when you can frighten people into not claiming, unless of course you have a government/lottery funded Advice Centre to complete the forms for you !!!

I say scrap the whole benefit system, only people that should get benefits are people who are disabled and are unable to work. This will stop immigration altogether.I know it's easier said than done and one day I might need help.

Last edited:
Its another case of people who try and better them selfs being disadavantaged.
I took the root of putting myself through a lot of higher education up to degree level at a cost to myself to get the job i wanted.
Done all the usual, fell in love, moved it together, had kids, wife had to give up work for the kids, but its ok, im on a good wage.
So wife was off work for a few years and she tries to get job seekers, sorry husband earns too much....
Now with this shes loosing all the money she gets because i did the 'great british' thing of trying to further myself.
With the mortgage and stuff it just might be worth giving up work and becoming a scrounger and getting everything paid for me :(
What a sorry situation this country has got it self into, could be time to jump ship i think :(

Back