Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tragically, some people earning £50k or more...

In addition to the inequities already mentioned, there will be many couples where the mother receives the Child Benefit but the father, as the high earner, has to pay it back through the tax system. This could cause friction if the mother refuses to give up the Child Benefit to avoid the father having to complete a tax return. Entitlement can also change during the tax year, if a couple separates or starts to live together, making the system even more complicated.

The whole system is a disaster waiting to happen.

Modified in 2003, it had been 'modified' regularly since the major change in 1946 to encourage re-population after the losses of the second world war. Prior to that it had simply been help for poorer families.

So, long after the reasons for its universal application had vanished, it remains.

It's probably well overdue a rework but on a fairer basis than this latest 'band-aid'.

The System Is a Disaster !!! There is no waiting, it has been a disaster since it was introduced in April 2003.

I think that you are confusing Tax Credits, which are a means-tested benefit introduced in April 2003, with Child Benefit, which has been around much longer and has been available to everyone with children up to now, regardless of income.

I think that you are confusing Tax Credits, which are a means-tested benefit introduced in April 2003, with Child Benefit, which has been around much longer and has been available to everyone with children up to now, regardless of income.

Apologies Bamber, yes I was talking about Tax Credits.............I interpreted your post incorrectly.

Back