Too many students?

capcomind

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know we here about paying for a university education is wrong, but when you look at the massive increase in the student population over the past 20 years it only stands to reason. Thousands of 18-21 year olds who would otherwise be working, paying tax and supporting the few that realy deserve to go to university and do a usefull degree are now doing BA's in Soap Operas and Snail reproduction Diplomas.

Make university fair, give those with a real need of funding in the top 10% of entrants and those doing usefull subjects, science, teaching, maths, engineering full funding. Let the hippys and the time wasters fund themselves and pay a premium to fund.

There is nothing wrong with skilled labour, carpenters, joiners, bricklayers, plumbers, mechanics, fitters, engineers, the problem is we all teach our kids education is the way forward and tell them that skilled labour wont pay the bills. It was the blend of skilled and educated labour that made Britain a world leader, without one the other is of little use. If my wall falls down I don't ring for a media student... I ring for a brickie.. e.t.c

Over to you guys!!

Well, I got a bit of stick earlier today for agreeing with a rant, but here we go again. You are 100% spot on m8. The truth is that skilled labour does pay the bills, and because there is a shortage of good plumbers, sparks, plasterers etc., they can do very well for themselves. I'd rather be a busy plumber than an out of work graduate with a huge loan to pay off.

capcomind said:
I know we here about paying for a university education is wrong, but when you look at the massive increase in the student population over the past 20 years it only stands to reason. Thousands of 18-21 year olds who would otherwise be working, paying tax and supporting the few that realy deserve to go to university and do a usefull degree are now doing BA's in Soap Operas and Snail reproduction Diplomas.

Make university fair, give those with a real need of funding in the top 10% of entrants and those doing usefull subjects, science, teaching, maths, engineering full funding. Let the hippys and the time wasters fund themselves and pay a premium to fund.

There is nothing wrong with skilled labour, carpenters, joiners, bricklayers, plumbers, mechanics, fitters, engineers, the problem is we all teach our kids education is the way forward and tell them that skilled labour wont pay the bills. It was the blend of skilled and educated labour that made Britain a world leader, without one the other is of little use. If my wall falls down I don't ring for a media student... I ring for a brickie.. e.t.c

Over to you guys!!

I couldn't agree with you enough m8, some degree courses are a total waste of money, iknow a friend whos doing a degree in spanish, wtf, total waste of money, i say to him once you get your degree in spanish wat you gonna do with it? anything he says dream on i say. But its true the goverment should fund students who are doing a degree which is useful in society such as, engineering,construction,doctoring, etc where there is a shortage of skills in a particular sector the goverment should fund the courses. I'm doing a degree in Quantity surveying where there is a slight shortage i feel i should be funded for it , i currently pay 1275 quid a year and its out of my own pocket, i dn't get know handouts from anyone but with people doing stupid degrees why do they get financial backing!!

And there is nothing wrong with skilled labouring, i wish i went into a trade before i started doing my degree. There is a huge amount of money to be made in skilled labour. some brickie i know his on like 120 quid a day, but its hard work.:Chainsaw:

Totally agree with everything said. I'm studying for a masters in mechanical engineering because I know it is a 'proper degree' and opens up a lot of options abroad and in uk. There are far too many students wasting 3/4 years of their lives and taxpayers money. Personally I blame the schools as they try are too busy striving to be top of the league tables, improving grades, telling kids to make uni their aim in life. They should be telling kids about college as well and don't give them false hope as lets face it not everyone gets anything out of going to uni especially the business/media/economics crowd.

I'm just thankful my dad put his foot down and said either I choose a proper degree or I wasnt going to uni.

in agreement here to burdens on society i say lol

So are you trying to say my course in patagonian wood carving of the 14th century isnt a good idea???

Yh I Knw Trades Are Good You No But Its Just The Image U Get Get People Saying Look at them look what they wear to work i rather where a nice suite it happens i get it a lot as im a chippy and yes im 18 lol
what ever makes u happi reali i agree so many stoppid degress around like gt a propper job most end up re-doing a couse later on in life then kick them self y didnt i doo a propper degreee
in the trade 300.000 construction wrkers gong in 10 yrs n onli 75.000 commin in soo ppl do the math but its hard work and dirty soo that why ppl dnt wnt to do it
and omgggggggggg hw much money u need to spend on tools well i have to spenddddddd soo much on tools

fisco2001 said:
Yh I Knw Trades Are Good You No But Its Just The Image U Get Get People Saying Look at them look what they wear to work i rather where a nice suite it happens i get it a lot as im a chippy and yes im 18 lol
what ever makes u happi reali i agree so many stoppid degress around like gt a propper job most end up re-doing a couse later on in life then kick them self y didnt i doo a propper degreee
in the trade 300.000 construction wrkers gong in 10 yrs n onli 75.000 commin in soo ppl do the math but its hard work and dirty soo that why ppl dnt wnt to do it
and omgggggggggg hw much money u need to spend on tools well i have to spenddddddd soo much on tools

Did you go to a college or were / are you apprenticed?

I spent 3 years at Uni studying Media & Society. I fecking loved it however pointless it was. I learnt a lot of usefull and important stuff. I made many great and diverse friends and really grew as a person. I also got drunk and shagged some hotties.

I now run a small AV installation business and I'm paying the money back.

I also spent 2 years on the hod and learnt to lay bricks and 3 years training as a locksmith before I even went to Uni.

I make a decent (if slow) electritian, plumber and carpenter.

One of my closest Uni mates now edits a golf mag. Another is a hard working and honest local politician.

Please don't tar all media students with the same brush.

The point is that money which would otherwise be allocated to "worthwhile" degrees is being squandered supporting plebs who have no intention of using their qualification or have a qualification there is no use for. Play the percentage game.... if your good enough you get it free, if we need the degree you get it free, if you want to study east enders and brookside and compare their relative merrits to socialogical deprivation in the pigmy tribes of the upper limpopo pay for it ALL yourself.

Fortunately you'd probably paid enough tax e.t.c to pay for yourself through uni so I can't knock ya, and I may need a plumber one day!!

@ Davie... Good on your Pops, .... He's Tops!

Come on guys! Why do people hate students so much?!!......Apart from the fact that we dodge tax!! Surely it's gotta better to be a student than to have 10 kids and sponge benefits?!!?

BTW.....as you may have noticed I'm a student, and may have a slightly biased view!

Most of the students out there will end up like that anyway because they're scared of a hard days graft... and its not just tax they dodge its soap, deodorant, personal responsibilities and growing up!!!!

I agree with you 100% mate, there are too many pointless subjects, my sister got her degree in media and then struggled to find a job (and I mean any job, lol) and the truth is shes a very clever girl, she just chose the wrong a-levels and the wrong degree course.

That said, I know many physics and engineering graduates who are struggling to find decent jobs in their field. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, a masters in laser engineering and im currently doing a PhD, but I know I would struggle to find a well payed job in this country as everyone wants you to have experience and nobody is prepared to offer it.
It would be beneficial if there was funding available for people who are willing to take on more challenging degrees. Throughout my first degree I worked every Saturday and Sunday to fund my studies (aswell as taking out the student loan which is barely enough to live on), and my course was practically 9-5 mon-fri. so I was working 7 days a week (what kind of life is that for a student? lol)

edcase

I could probably point you in the right geographical area m8. Where I live we are cying out for skilled / qualified engineers both mechanica and electrical.

Back