Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

To Dongle or not to Dongle

luckyroverbill

Inactive User
Hi all, no got my box yet (dm 518) (just 4 starters) but i was wondering as i am gathering knowledge, do i 'need' an othodox internet connection, i.e..router, ethernet ect, or can i set it up threw a 3g dongle which is what i have at the mo plugged into the back of my laptop. Is it possible to download everything i need to set it up, then plug in the null cable to the laptop and the other end to the box and then transfer it all to the DM putting it simply, obviously its a bit more complicated, but basically can it be done, or do i need to get a router and broadband?

Apologise for the Title :grayno:

No answers for this one, i assume its a silly question? or one not asked before and therefore unanswerable?
Hi all, no got my box yet (dm 518) (just 4 starters) but i was wondering as i am gathering knowledge, do i 'need' an othodox internet connection, i.e..router, ethernet ect, or can i set it up threw a 3g dongle which is what i have at the mo plugged into the back of my laptop. Is it possible to download everything i need to set it up, then plug in the null cable to the laptop and the other end to the box and then transfer it all to the DM putting it simply, obviously its a bit more complicated, but basically can it be done, or do i need to get a router and broadband?

Apologise for the Title :grayno:

You can flash over serial although it will take a long time. Router (even though not connected to the internet) is better.

You could also try internet connection sharing.

Uhm thats interesting, i have 2 old Routers knocking about some where, just bought a null cable...is there a tut on here that would step me threw the process, althought i've just ordered broadband, but that will take 2 to 3 weeks to be up and running.
Thanks for the reply BTW, its a start.
You can flash over serial although it will take a long time. Router (even though not connected to the internet) is better.

You could also try internet connection sharing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp image.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get a 3g router i use a TP link you plug the dongle into the back of it open up the web page and configure it to your provider you might need a long usb to usb to move it about till you get the strongest signal

Ive use a 3g router in the past a cheap TP link one and it did the job just fine mate.

Hi All,

Its been a long time since I last visited this site, I hope someone can help me with using a 3g dongle with my DM-500S.

What I am trying to do is use a my DM-500S on 3g but I cannot get it to work, It works fine on the broadband connection at home and if I do a network test using the 3g it says everything is reachable but it does not clear the picture.

My setup consists of a DM500S, TP-Link TL-MR3020 and a Huawei E160G dongle on GiffGaff.

I have tried all kinds of IP configurations including DHCP and Fixed addresses and im starting to round in circles.

Regards
Sammy

Back