TM800hd fans spins on standby

hypasnypa

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is there any way to stop the fan spinning constantly while on standby? Not a major problem but why would it need active cooling while on standby, plus the noise is irritating when I am close to the receiver, not forgetting the power consumption too. Would it be safe to disconnect the fan altogether?

thats the way its been done mate
if you search this room there are posts telling you how to solder it another way to sort this :)

TM originally said the box didnt need a fan at all and only added it due to people asking for it ?? so I spoze you could un plug it

you had the box long mate ? just wondered if they have run out of stock yet as they was discontinuing it

Initially I had a thermal switch, the clicking at night was annoyance.

I then tried to connect a relay to the scart pins, but that didnt work. I suspect my relay specs were not quite right as the same effort was tried on the another type of receiver without success. This to me is teh best solution, but it never worked for me, I did not want to throw more money at it.

In the end, I soldered the fan connector to the 5V supply instead of 12. Never got hot.

You may be better off adding a switch in the fan power line. A toggle switch should fit in the wifi aerial holes.

There was a discussion on another thread recently about the fan in TM5402's. Some suggested disabling it, others replaced it with a quieter one. If it does run when box is in standby, at least it'll prolong the lives of the PSU capacitors a bit.

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess I will just live with it for the meantime.
I may just disconnect it if I get really fed up, as it was a freebie receiver I got passed down from family.
The soldering option just seems too much headache, at least for now.

If you disconnect, make sure you insulate the cable. The terminals are male and willl be exposed.

Back