tm800 hd and bt home hub

squig007

DW Member +
Reaction score
im wondering can anyone shed any light onto a small problem i have. I have three boxes connected to my broadband through a buaffalo wifi bridge.the first is a vu+duo which shows on my bthome hub as bm750 connected. The second is a openbox wiich shows connected as openbox. the third is my tm800hd - but each time i turn the box of it connects under a differnt name in the bt homehub, so currently it shows that there are 13 tm800hd's all connected at the same time - I think it is because each time i turn the tm800hd off and then back on again it connects to a new ip address but keeps the old one connected as well - is there a way around this . I have dhcp tunred on on my router - is there anythini can do to my tm800hd to stop this contiually happening ??

squig007

Weird behaviour...this maybe your BT Home Hub though and the way it implements DHCP.
DHCP tracks physical MAC address of the device making the DHCP request then allocates an IP which it ties to that MAC.
You cant have 13 IP addresses all leased to the same MAC address, might just be a cache thing on the homehub, reboot the homehub and see how many TM800's are listed in the DHCP clients list after you reboot. Weird that as you state, your getting a different hostname eery time a DHCP request is made from the TM800..thats not normal.

Why not bind your TM800s MAC address to a static IP on the router?

Last edited:
How do you do this? Also i have a lcd screen on my router which shows me what is connected. Is there a way in putting a description on the Tm 800hd to show up on my router as TM800HD in use instead of a ip address. My wireless things which connect to my router eg my iphone shows iphone. The router i have is a Belkin N1 Vision and using Belkin gigaset homeplugs to connect to the receiver.

Just because you have DHCP turned on at the router doesn't mean you can't use a static IP on the TM800. If not try limiting the range of ips dished out by the router to just enough for each of your devices. It should hopefully then reassign despite lease.

How do you do this? Also i have a lcd screen on my router which shows me what is connected. Is there a way in putting a description on the Tm 800hd to show up on my router as TM800HD in use instead of a ip address. My wireless things which connect to my router eg my iphone shows iphone. The router i have is a Belkin N1 Vision and using Belkin gigaset homeplugs to connect to the receiver.

I think it differs depending on router but normally if you turn on mac address filtering you can assign a label to the macs in your access list. Usually that's just wirelss devices but if you add mac for a wired device it might still show up

how do you do it cycloxit ? and can i still do it even though im using a buffalo wifi bridge with the box ?

Hi,

I'm using the cat5 cable option but should work with your adapter. You possibly have to set the static ip address on your wifi bridge via software.

I think I've got DHCP running on the home hub as normal, and on the tm800 i gave it a static ip by unchecking the DHCP option.

I know with my old netgear you could assign a mac address and ip address but there was no option on the home hub 2 if i remember correctly.

My hub is been cleansed of the BT virus has yours? It works great on my talk talk connection.

Hope this helps.

Back