TM5420HD Bad Recordings On HD

Arfer Daley

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi folks
can anyone recomend a usb memory stick around the 32gig mark to use with my sat box named above
it records ok on ds settings but on hd recordings becomes jerky etc as if the stick is not fast enough
have tried a couple sandisc cruzer blade & easy disc still jerky
any advice will be most welcome dont want too really buy a usb hard drive as its just for the odd recording
that maybe the kids or i want to record and then edit off for a dvd
thanks for your time

Hi Arfer Daley,

Could you try the following to see if it cures the USB Flash Drive recording problem...

Menu > System Settings > A/V Output Settings > Video Format > Set to AUTO > Digital Audio > Set to DOLBY HDMI > Press 'Exit' > Settings were changed. Do you want to save? > YES

Then try another recording...

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi again Arfer Daley,

I've just noticed a problem with the last instructions I gave you...

Menu > System Settings > A/V Output Settings > Video Format > Set to AUTO > Digital Audio > Set to DOLBY HDMI > Press 'Exit' > Settings were changed. Do you want to save? > YES

...because when you go back to any SD channel after watching/recording a HD channel... the AUTO Video Format setting reverts the whole receiver system to 576i

So please disregard my last suggestion... however... if (as I suspect) you are recording channels on 28.2°E then there's another suggestion I can make... all Sly HD channels use the 720p Video Format... so try making the following adjustment...

Menu > System Settings > A/V Output Settings > Video Format > Set to 720p > Digital Audio > Set to DOLBY HDMI > Press 'Exit' > Settings were changed. Do you want to save? > YES

After you have finished recording... reset the Video Format setting to 1080i/1080p and 'Save'

NB
If you are recording the FREE unencrypted BBC/ITV/C4 HD channels then you shouldn't have any problems with the Video Format setting set to 1080i/1080p

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi Zorch, I have been having poor recordings (HD only) I tried your suggestion--and a quick check shows it works! I dont doubt my Drive but cannot see the reason for the improvement. Is the 5402 not capable of doing all that is necessary to record encrypted High Def Video??

Thanks for the idea tho!! ;-))

Hi nevergiveup,

I have been having poor recordings (HD only) I tried your suggestion--and a quick check shows it works! I don't doubt my Drive but cannot see the reason for the improvement. Is the 5402 not capable of doing all that is necessary to record encrypted High Def Video??

I don't do any recordings myself mate so I can't answer your question with any conviction... all I surmised is that the TM 5402 HD system is set (by default) to automatically upgrade all Video Formats to pseudo 1080i/1080p quality... and all Sly HD channels are 720p

View attachment 72796(click on image to enlarge)

I think this feature tries to Upscale all Video Formats... not just the SD ones

So when you are recording the 720p channels... the TM 5402 HD is still trying to upgrade the video format to pseudo 1080i/1080p quality... so there will be no discernible jerky motion on your TV screen... but I think that's why HD recordings to USB Flash Drives/External Hard Drives play back the way that they do...

I hope this makes some kind of sense...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Zorchwell as promised reporting back did not make any difference I suspect its the usb stick looking on the net I see its a fairly slow drive i purchased a new 16gb NEON flash drive it was given a 5* by the gadget show so I will give that a blast tomorrow :Ha: lol watch this space:lsabre:

Hi All well I tried the new 16gb flash drive works faultless on SD but HD is a little hit and miss so I am going to purchase a western digital 300 0r 500 usb drive as soon as funds allow I borrowed my mates over a few days and gave it some hammer on the hd chans and was faultless its on offer at present hope it stays that way for a couple of weeks so I can get one lol :0 have a good day all

just a quick update have now got a Western Digital Elements USB.3.0-500Gb and at present works a dream on SD & HD recordings
just need too sort out a few little niggles now

Hi zorch,sorry to jump this reply but iam still having the stuttering recording problem on 5402. iv followed these instructions, on the a/v output settings it says 720p but on the channel info bar it says 1080i. it seems that my box doesnt want to output 720p at all.every hd channel on 28.2 says 1080i any ideas fella ? cheers
Hi again Arfer Daley,

I've just noticed a problem with the last instructions I gave you...

...because when you go back to any SD channel after watching/recording a HD channel... the AUTO Video Format setting reverts the whole receiver system to 576i

So please disregard my last suggestion... however... if (as I suspect) you are recording channels on 28.2°E then there's another suggestion I can make... all Sly HD channels use the 720p Video Format... so try making the following adjustment...

Menu > System Settings > A/V Output Settings > Video Format > Set to 720p > Digital Audio > Set to DOLBY HDMI > Press 'Exit' > Settings were changed. Do you want to save? > YES

After you have finished recording... reset the Video Format setting to 1080i/1080p and 'Save'

NB
If you are recording the FREE unencrypted BBC/ITV/C4 HD channels then you shouldn't have any problems with the Video Format setting set to 1080i/1080p

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Back