TM-5402, Problem recording in HD

R0adrunner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi R0adrunner,

There's a few more details that we need to know before anyone can answer the questions in your post...

1/ Are you using a Phantompatch on your TM 5402 HD receiver or are you using Technomate Original Software...?

2/ Which version Phantompatch/Technomate Original Software are you using...?

3/ Are you using an 'Official JSC Sports' card in your TM 5402 HD receiver... or are these channels obtained via a 'share'...?

4/ From which satellite are you recording the JSC Sports HD channels...?

5/ What size dish are you using and is your dish alignment accurate...?

6/ What 'Signal Strength'/'Signal Quality' readings are you getting on these HD transponders/channels...?

7/ Do you have any problems recording 'other' HD channels from the same satellite or from any other satellites...?

8/ Did you read the following 'threads' regarding Technomate compatible 'External HDD' storage devices and HD recording issues...?

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/295950/

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/292838/

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited by a moderator:
And is it even an HD receiver as obviously the part no TM5402 may not be without the 'HD' in it?:Boo:

I've never got a decent HD recording on my TM-5402. Same as the OP here, jerky and stuttering, especially in fast moving scenes or sports.
I have tried too many USB memory sticks and HDD's to count, and every firmware from 112 to 127 and came to the conclusion that my box was faulty.

Thanks. Here are the answers to help identify the problem.

1/ Are you using a Phantompatch on your TM 5402 HD receiver or are you using Technomate Original Software...?
I added the 127p Phantompatch last weekend, but before that I was using TM original software, although the shop owner told he was patching the receiver - which is a TM5402HD[b/] receiver, by the way - when I bought it 1 2motnhs ago. However, I had this same problem when I recorded in HD before I added the 127p Phantompatch last weekend.

[quote2/ Which version Phantompatch/Technomate Original Software are you using...?[/quote]
Since last weekend I am using the 127p Phantompatch.

3/ Are you using an 'Official JSC Sports' card in your TM 5402 HD receiver... or are these channels obtained via a 'share'...?
I am using an official JSC Viacess card.

4/ From which satellite are you recording the JSC Sports HD channels...?
Hotbird, 13 degrees east.

5/ What size dish are you using and is your dish alignment accurate...?
80cm (I live in London) which was installed by a self-employed professional installer.

6/ What 'Signal Strength'/'Signal Quality' readings are you getting on these HD transponders/channels...?
Tonight I am getting 92% signal strength.

7/ Do you have any problems recording 'other' HD channels from the same satellite or from any other satellites...?
I will try and report back.

8/ Did you read the following 'threads' regarding Technomate compatible 'External HDD' storage devices and HD recording issues...?

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/295950/

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/292838/
Zorch
No, I will do so now.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
7. I recorded in HD from the Free to Air ARTE French channel on Hotbird and it recorded perfectly, no problems.

Hi again R0adrunner,

I recorded in HD from the Free to Air ARTE French channel on Hotbird and it recorded perfectly, no problems.

Let me have a think about this problem overnight... one thing immediately springs to mind though... Phantom has stated a few times on new patch release notes "Viaccess card fixed"... perhaps this needs fixing again for Official Viewing Cards...

Do you have a separate 'Viaccess Cam' that you can use to test the Official Viewing Card in to see if that solves the problem...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Hi again R0adrunner,

I have just seen your posts on another well-known satellite forum (which I used to frequent a while back) stating that you do have a separate 'Viaccess Cam' with the Official Viewing Card...

I believe that the new JSC Sports Official Viewing Cards are Viaccess 4.0 and that they also need a Viaccess Cam which supports 4.0 cards... are you sure that your cam fully supports Viaccess 4.0 cards...? (for SD & HD channels)

It might also be a good idea to go into the TM 5402 HD menu and switch the patch 'OFF' while you are using the Official Viewing Card in the Viaccess cam... this is done by selecting 'System Information' and then pressing 2-0-0-4 on the remote control... the same applies for turning the patch back 'ON' again...

Have you tried doing this when you are using your Official Viewing Card in the Viaccess cam... and before you start recording the HD channels...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
I used the CAM with the old version 3.0 Viacess JSC smart card but stopped using it when I realised it was not compatible with version 4.0.

I originally installed the 127p Phantompatch to eliminate the problem of the picture stopping then jumping to the next frame before continuing.

Would using an official Viacess version 4.0 CAM instead of the receiver's own built in CAM resolve the problem?

Hi again R0adrunner,

I used the CAM with the old version 3.0 Viacess JSC smart card but stopped using it when I realised it was not compatible with version 4.0.

I originally installed the 127p Phantompatch to eliminate the problem of the picture stopping then jumping to the next frame before continuing.

Would using an official Viacess version 4.0 CAM instead of the receiver's own built in CAM resolve the problem?

I think that would be the best solution to your problem... however... if Phant0m releases an updated patch for the TM 5402 HD which supports Official Viaccess 4.0 viewing cards... then you will have paid out money for a cam that you do not need...

Proviso
I cannot tell you for sure whether it is actually possible for Phant0m to incorporate support for Official Viaccess 4.0 viewing cards into his patches... it may be that the embedded cam in the TM 5402 HD may also be incapable of properly reading the new Viaccess 4.0 viewing cards no matter what new code is added to the patch... but I am only guessing here...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Thank you, but if the receiver's own CAM is the problem - which might be resolved by using an official Viacess CAM instead - why would it only interfere with the recording of the JSC HD channels, rather than the actual watching of them?

Cheers.

Hi again R0adrunner,

Thank you, but if the receiver's own CAM is the problem - which might be resolved by using an official Viacess CAM instead - why would it only interfere with the recording of the JSC HD channels, rather than the actual watching of them?

Good question mate...

aah!!... sorry, I think I may have grasped the wrong end of the stick with your problem...

So if your original assumption in your first post is not correct... that it's your HDD that's not capable of handling recordings of the JSC Sports HD channels... then the only thing I can think of is that the JSC Sports HD channels could have some kind of copy-protection method associated with them... like 'Macro-vision'... hence jumpy/freezing unwatchable recordings...

I really don't know mate... surely there must be someone on the forum that does know...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Back