Tivo to surround sound

miggy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Tivo box and wish to couple it up to a surround sound system. Could anyone advice me on which set up to get and the best way to wire the system up?. Thank you.

Ive found the best way is to use an av receiver with decent speakers.
You can get a half deacent one from richer sounds, onkyo, denon, marantz are all very good makes when it comes to this sort of equipment.
I did initally try to use my old dvd player with optical cables etc but it never sounded very good, ive now got true cinema sound (i run onkyo av, and Kef 7.1 speakers cost about £700 a few years back).
The tivo plays nicely with the setup even with my google tv thrown between the lot.
Your best bet is to go down to richer sounds and have them set up a few set ups and see how you like them, once you have got the set up you like then get it, dont shy away at paying a bit more as once you have a good system that seperate to everything else you wont need to replace it for many years.

Home av kits are a mine field, do a bit of research and dont fall for the extra gimicks. I fell in love with a panasonic system that had all the whistles until i heard it. When i went to richersounds they set up both the panasonic and the onkyo on the kefs i bought and it was like night and day, but sound is very dependent on each person.
One thing i can say though is once you have one it will ruin all other ways of listing to the tv...
good luck i hope thats given you some pointers.

Ive found the best way is to use an av receiver with decent speakers.
You can get a half deacent one from richer sounds, onkyo, denon, marantz are all very good makes when it comes to this sort of equipment.
I did initally try to use my old dvd player with optical cables etc but it never sounded very good, ive now got true cinema sound (i run onkyo av, and Kef 7.1 speakers cost about £700 a few years back).
The tivo plays nicely with the setup even with my google tv thrown between the lot.
Your best bet is to go down to richer sounds and have them set up a few set ups and see how you like them, once you have got the set up you like then get it, dont shy away at paying a bit more as once you have a good system that seperate to everything else you wont need to replace it for many years.

Home av kits are a mine field, do a bit of research and dont fall for the extra gimicks. I fell in love with a panasonic system that had all the whistles until i heard it. When i went to richersounds they set up both the panasonic and the onkyo on the kefs i bought and it was like night and day, but sound is very dependent on each person.
One thing i can say though is once you have one it will ruin all other ways of listing to the tv...
good luck i hope thats given you some pointers.
Great advice m8 I will try and get to Richer sounds during the week. Thank you. :)

Back