Thinking of getting a BOP

Penners

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

This summer whilst out in the garden building a play house, for the little ones a big shadow flew across my head.

Then all of a sudden the chickens were going crazy. I ran to the bottom of the garden fumbling for my phone to take a picture and as I did the bird flew off with a large mouse.

Anyway it was larger than a kestrel so did a bit of research and became hooked.

I still to this day am not sure what bird it was as I was messing with my phone that much that i didn't get chance to look at it in detail (happened so fast)

Now I'm hooked. I would like to re-home my chickens at the end of this year and start building my mews for a Harris Hawk. I have miles of fields behind our back garden so plenty of space to fly etc.. and will hopefully get some permissions from the local farmers land etc..

Has anybody on this forum experience of keeping birds of prey? I've been reading one of the popular UK falcon forums however I have not posted as their attitude to newbies is horrendous one could say some of them are so far up their own ass all they do is spew sh!t. (honestly some of the posts I read made to newbies and seasoned falconers is horrendous, which is a real shame as the site has some really useful information)

I would love to hear anyone’s personal experiences with these majestical birds. I've been researching / planning for the last 3 months and would hope to enrol on a training course in BOP with eye to getting my bird in March / April.

the only B.O.P. I would want in my garden would have to look like this..

sister-bliss-sexy-nun-costume-91-p.jpg

a Bird Of Pray worth keeping an eye on

bonhommes-10.gif
forgive me for my wicked thoughts...

the only B.O.P. I would want in my garden would have to look like this..

sister-bliss-sexy-nun-costume-91-p.jpg

a Bird Of Pray worth keeping an eye on

bonhommes-10.gif
forgive me for my wicked thoughts...

Love it!!! She could stay in my garden all the time lol I would love to take that BOP out onto the fields; I bet she's fly’s well.

Not sure if the wife would let me have her . I'll work at it though :)

She could do the weeding too!! well any job that involves her bending over. Got to keep my BOP supple :)

I think the farmers may approve,as it will keep flying vermin away and help catch the ones that can run.

I'm hoping so, the first farmer I've spoken too was very helpful and has said when/If I get a Harris hawk I could fly it at rabbits /ducks and pheasant on his land. Providing I take him out hunting once in a while. He was quite excited about seeing a hawk hunt(as am I lol) Although there’s a lot of training to do prior to getting the hawk to hunt.

My worst nightmare is old hawky not coming back lol I read a few threads elsewhere where the poor chaps hawk never returned.

In my line of work, a BOP is a Breach of the Peace. So when I read the title, I was interested to know why someone wanted one.

You'll have to watch 'Kes' to get your ideas sorted ;)

Funny you should say that, As that was in my GCSE English many many moons ago. We had to read the book A Kestrel For a Knave. I also watched the film too lol

Fantastic book and film maybe that’s where the seed was planted???

You can get a transmitter that fits to their backs, so you can find them :)

I've been looking at them not cheap but worth every penny lol

You seem quite knowledgable on the subject Mairyhinge(still makes me laugh when I type that name lol)

Do you have experience in BOP or hunting with BOP? I would love to know someone who I could nip down and have a look at there mews set up and maybe even watch them hunt lol

I've regestered my profile on the falcon forum so hopefully I'll be able to find someone in my area. That's if they all don't bite my head off lol.

Haha GCSE, showing your youth there :) I did it for my O Level English :)

Haha got to hold onto my youth for as long as possible I turned 30 this year and with 2 children under 2 I might look 60 the year after lol

Yes I could certainly get into the habit, ............

I've been looking at them not cheap but worth every penny lol

You seem quite knowledgable on the subject Mairyhinge(still makes me laugh when I type that name lol)

Do you have experience in BOP or hunting with BOP? I would love to know someone who I could nip down and have a look at there mews set up and maybe even watch them hunt lol

I've regestered my profile on the falcon forum so hopefully I'll be able to find someone in my area. That's if they all don't bite my head off lol.

Unfortunately I don't, I am just fascinated by them and I have been to quite a few rescue centres. where they explain how they release some and show others depending on their injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using fingers and thumbs!

Back