There's a recession don't you know

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I'm out shopping at the weekend looking for some clothes and I passes by a window with some vans, cargo shorts and a few nice Hugo Boss polo's that I think would be good for me going on holiday...now this isn't some up market shop, it's not selling rolex, gucci or located in one of those places where you pretty much have to mortgage your house to buy a sandwich, it's in a primarily owned ethnic area with stalls and market type traders.

I goes in to have a look.......£80 for a sodding t-shirt with a lapel, i mean seriously, what the hell. To make matters worse the shop attendant says, nice that reduced from £110 and two for £150.

£20 for a t-shirt and I get the sweats.....but OMFG.

bit dear for what will most probably be fakes,get to cheetam hill,you can ge the designer look for cheapy cheapy lol

Primark all the way...lol
I'll second that.
even in a recession, there are plenty of people with money, but no sense.
after all only 85% of the population, are actually experiencing a recession.
the earnings of the rest, are forging ahead. (odd that, isn't it?)
so there are still people who will pay.
even amongst those, who can't afford it

the "Designer" label has a lot to answer for. lol.
rant over. sorry.

i do have an explanation, though, for you.

I've worked a lot with young Asian males. who are, for the most part, Moslem.
they are prepared to pay the sort of money, you are talking about, for these things.
T shirts, with a design or theme, would become the thing to have.
and they were not put off by the costs.
they all worked hard, saved hard and lived with their mums.
so they had no living costs.
apart from their cars and their clothes.
even the young married guys. kept it up for a year or so, after.
and this applied to all clothing, not just T shirts.

Last edited:
i would always pay extra for quality, have about 20 polos mostly Ralph or Lacoste i do have a few Tommy to. they last years to, Primark stuff last weeks in the long run it will cost you more

So, I'm out shopping at the weekend looking for some clothes and I passes by a window with some vans, cargo shorts and a few nice Hugo Boss polo's that I think would be good for me going on holiday...now this isn't some up market shop, it's not selling rolex, gucci or located in one of those places where you pretty much have to mortgage your house to buy a sandwich, it's in a primarily owned ethnic area with stalls and market type traders.

I goes in to have a look.......£80 for a sodding t-shirt with a lapel, i mean seriously, what the hell. To make matters worse the shop attendant says, nice that reduced from £110 and two for £150.

£20 for a t-shirt and I get the sweats.....but OMFG.

Could be I was tired, could be the shock of your post pushed me over the edge...

...having a lie down, I'd want a whole holiday outfit for that ;)

Why pay a fortune for over rated clothes? get yourself to George Asda there are some tidy clothes in there for half the cost Exos, Save your money nobody gives a shite when you are on holiday mate. ;)

Why pay a fortune for over rated clothes? get yourself to George Asda there are some tidy clothes in there for half the cost Exos, Save your money nobody gives a shite when you are on holiday mate. ;)

Exacta mungo...

Exacta mungo gerry they were hot summer days.

quite right.

as for the PRIMARK V "branded".
who on earth, wants the same t shirt for 12 months. however many you have?
especially if you are into the "labels".

as for the polos, you'd need to use a "brand" for 4 years to make it better value than a PRIMARK version.
the cost difference is so vast.

bare with me here.
its the same with batteries. nobody would doubt the quality and longevity of Duracell. but £1 shop 11 packs offer vastly better value for money.

so, "branded" or none branded? thing is, there are almost no circumstances when the brand offers any sort of value for money. ( though i accept that there is a "perception" of added value)
but it has got a badge, and that's what you pay for.

me? I don't see the point. but can happily live on half of what most do
the only thing id miss, is the anguish of damaging the stupidly expensive item.

lol, win win.

I like my labels and have a par-chant for Bench stuff, but I would never pay £80 for a t-shirt. As far as false economy goes, that is paying for a name nothing more, if it was put against something of half that price I can bet it would last just as long.

I've paid £45 for a shirt before now, but it's few and far between.

All my work shirts except a few are from George, that is one area where i think why the feck should i pay brewsters to go to work...

I spent £8 in sports direct on a plain white and black t-shirt the same day.

Most of this crap stems from school days where all your friends would take the piss because you didn't have brand name shoes or clothes. You got what your parents could afford at the time it was either that or you starve. Spoilt children nowadays get nothing but the best of everything, £100.00 trainers, designer clothes. Exos it doesn't make you a better person because you are wearing 100s of pounds worth of clothes. In fact it makes me think wow they must have a lot of money to waste. It has nothing to do with the life span or the way clothes have been put together.This is just my opinion guys by all means spend all your money if you think you look cool but you ain't kidding nobody.

my budgeting strategy is: pay no more than

£15 for top half
£20 for lower half
£40 for footwear

i don't give a fk what i look like, as long as i'm clean.

My budget strategy is
if i like it i will buy it :)

Shoes From £100 upto £200
Trainers From £60 upto £120
T-shirts From £10 upto £130
Shirts From £40 upto £100
Coat From £50 upto £300
Jeans From £65 upto £150

Most of this crap stems from school days where all your friends would take the piss because you didn't have brand name shoes or clothes. You got what your parents could afford at the time it was either that or you starve. Spoilt children nowadays get nothing but the best of everything, £100.00 trainers, designer clothes. Exos it doesn't make you a better person because you are wearing 100s of pounds worth of clothes. In fact it makes me think wow they must have a lot of money to waste. It has nothing to do with the life span or the way clothes have been put together.This is just my opinion guys by all means spend all your money if you think you look cool but you ain't kidding nobody.

totally agree here.
Its an argument i have with my wife, frequently. (one of the problems with a much younger wife, i suppose).

I remember, mercilessly taking the piss out of a guy, in 1983, for buying a Tacchini track suite for £120. he looked like a total dick, in it.
his perception however, was quite different.

dim wits in high priced sports clothing. the BADGE OF THATCHERS BRITAIN.
IMHO, of course.

I actually use that site lol, but equally Burton, George, Bank, UCS, G-Star, Sports Direct etc. and even then i generally look to see if I can get the same item cheaper elsewhere.

@Miggy, I'm not advocating that everything has to be designer, or indeed everything of mine is, but there is a clear quality difference of a £4 t-shirt against that which cost me £20, but i don't see the difference between £20 and £80 unless it's hand woven by 40 virgins in Egyptian cotton, whilst they bathe in goats milk, before being packed in a mink filled box (with a ribbon of course)

£80 is just plain ridiculous as is £150 for Jeans

Last edited:
Back