The perfect Box

cuebase

DW Regular +
Reaction score
Hi there,

does anyone know what is the best linux HD reciever to buy regardless of price. Does one exist that will do the following flawlessly.

Stream live TV and movies to PC
accept streams from PC
Pause live TV
Record one channel watch another
Run most cams including cccam oscam etc
7 day epg with timer record
take most makes of internal sata HDD
good support and plugins
good media player that plays most modern formats

Does it exist.

The best box for all the above is the Vu+ Duo with Vix team image

no other box for the price can touch the Duo every box has flawless but the Duo has the least problems with your wish list

Thanks for the reply bassethound but you see this is where i get confused, another member said the tm 800HD media player knocks the socks off the Vu+ duo and if thats the case it must be rubbish cause in my opinion the media player on the tm is crap. I dont disbelieve you bassethound just trying to find an all singing all dancing box which I suppose dosent exist.

I looked into the vu+ and was given the impression you need vlc to play most media files but I may have misunderstood.
I have read that the dm800se has a good multimedia player but havn't read a writeup that says how well just that it can.
I know they have a dts workaround @pli but don't know how good it is.

i have an original dm800, a Vu+ duo and a TM800. none of these receivers is the perfect box, the perfect box simply doesnt exist.

my dm800 runs nabilo bh v12, my vu duo runs vix 2.0 and the tm800 (for these camparisons) runs iQ 15/6. i watch very little TV myself, when the kids aint here, my duo is my mp3 jukebox, my dm800 is my linux - windows file bridge, and my tm800 is what i watch, as i only watch downloaded stuff

the duo wont play any video media from usb, ive tried streaming divx etc, but it needs vlc and stuff installed on the receiver and the PC, and i cannot be arsed. i tried to setup net radio streaming, but it green screens (and tells me to send the crashlog to DMM) every time i use it, its the same with youtube streaming

my dm800 wont play video media from usb either, but it will stream youtube and net radio (i listen to a german techno radio station)

the tm800 has played every video media file ive tried except for one, which was an mkv, but it played other mkv files fine. ive not had time to try youtube or net radio in the last 2 weeks as ive had a lot going on

my duo is in the living room as its twin tuner, which is obviously a bonus, but only the kids use it to watch stuff on. the dm800 is on my bedroom, and gets used very rarely, the tm800 is also in my bedroom, and now gets used as a media player

the duo is a big box, physically, the dm800 is tiny, and the tm800 is in the middle

pvr functions

since UR changed the setup from options to choose from timeshift and recording storage to just a single default device, the tm800 sucks at pvr functions. ive got both my duo and dm800 (and tm800) setup with a 16Gb SD card in the rear, as well as internal hard drives. on the duo and dm800, recordings go to hdd, and timeshift goes to usb, so you can press pause, and its silent (for about 4 hours or so) but the tm800 no longer gives that option

it all depends on what you actually use the box for, good and bad points pointed out above, they all have their pro's and con's, depending on what you want from it

Thanks for that Digi, have you ever used the Extrend ET9000. Was thinking of taking the plunge.

Does either the duo or the et9000 have good reliable streaming bassethound.

The best box for all the above is the Vu+ Duo with Vix team image

no other box for the price can touch the Duo every box has flawless but the Duo has the least problems with your wish list

If I was going to pay 350 odd quid for a Duo , i'd rather pay 20 quid less and get the DM 8000 HD clone, I hear they around the the 330 quid mark now or less . More hardware spec for similar cash (quad tuner capable, bult in SD Card Readers, DVD drive etc..).

VU Duo, would be next on the list though.... Your best bet is to do your research have a good read around different forums, websites etc... never use one source for your info... Then decide....problem with a single source is...you dont know personal bias /opinions/viewpoints/motives are involved in peoples advise...

Thanks gsmtech got caught on that before i think you know who I mean.

if i was gonna spend over £300 on a box, personally, i wouldnt touch a clone, especially after seeing how long it took for the DM800 clones to become stable, and with the measures taken to stop images working on clones, for that amount of money, id want something that is not going to risk being bricked by some form of copy protection.

ive spent the last few months saving for a new telly, and i now have enough for a 3D tv, but, reading reviews from people who have gone out and bought the 'cheaper' 3D tvs that i was looking at, ive decided to save for a bit longer to get one that is not getting so many bad and neutral reviews

i think that as i get older, and look back at how much money ive spent 'fixing' things that ive tried to do on the cheap, its actually worked out that its cost me more

id say to have a think of what you actually want from the receiver, write a list, who uses 4 tuners at once? who has 4 motorised dishes, or 4 multisat diseqc feeds into their house for normal viewing?

my duo has 2 HD sat tuners and a terrestrial tuner, i never use the terrestrial tuner, but its there anyway, and only one of the sat tuners is ever used

i could probably get rid of most of the receivers i have connected up in the house, replace them with cheapo S9's or something, and not lose any of the functionality i actually use

for me though, if it was a choice of spending my own cash on a clone 8000 or a Duo, id go for the Duo, if you really really want 4 tuners, add USB ones

I have also had a play with lots of HD boxes TM800,SH9,DM800 clone and original,Qbox HD mini,Triple G,VU Duo and would agree ther is no perfect box.

The one I have stuck with is the Duo I know a few people knock the media player but it works fine with VLC so plays any media with no problems at all directly from your PC no need to put your files on a usb drive to play them. Im still running on Vix 1.2 I find it the most stable image I have ever used dont think its ever green screened and recording has been faultless.

tripple g was the best of the closed source boxes but thats just my opinion.

i dont think there is a perfect box as theres always something missing from 1 or the other. id like a dogs dangelies linuxbox with all the bells and whistles that also has very sensetive tuners that can resolve all broadcast parameters.. 4.2.2/accurate blind scan/100 to 45000sr/8psk/qpsk/apsk ect ect. i bought my vu+duo in a mad moment 5 months ago for £379 and havent even tried it yet but i hope there as good as everybody says they are or im going to feel like a right tit(wouldnt be the first time) regards mdt

@cuebase

I should have said @digi
He has a coolstream box but like most owners of them doesn't really talk about it.

Last edited:
Coolstream...havent heard much about those...I will do some reading...intresting that it runs Neutrino.

What about the Qbox HD ?? I read on my thread "TM800HD versus DM800HD" that it does most of the things out of the box..haven't read first hand reviews on it yet...anyone ??
I recently got a DM800SE for a friend. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Will check various functionalities and report back once I get a chance...

What about the Qbox HD ?? I read on my thread "TM800HD versus DM800HD" that it does most of the things out of the box..haven't read first hand reviews on it yet...anyone ??
I recently got a DM800SE for a friend. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Will check various functionalities and report back once I get a chance...

Probably cant go wrong with a Qbox Mini HD as far as value for money twin tuner boxes though, especially as most features are reported to work fine out of the box. If it's a basic box you want should be fine.

Few concerns I have about the Q Box Mini HD is it's still early days in terms of software support doesnt seem to be much choice of images...
Seems underpowered in terms of CPU etc compared to competition. Doesnt run standard E2 so you cant use normal E2 plugins.
Doesnt run standard SoftCAMS e.g: CCCam you have to use some client called RADAR which apparently takes C-lines but has poor ECM times...
Doesnt have the capibility to run as a server e.g: host and share a card via CCCam. On the plus side though software devleopment seems to be ticking along, and progressing it takes standard E2 bouquets and is well priced for a twin tuner box 199 quid... I have seen single tuner recievers at similar or higher prices than this...

As far as the Dm800SE clone goes, I have had my'n a few weeks now, and no problems, it's a lot faster and cooler than my DM800HD PRO, PVR, timeshift, Media Player etc is all spot on. The only issue I had was DTS audio on MKV files, but this apparently is fixed on certain images it's a plugin issue which can be fixed by installing the relavant libraries and plugins.

Also support seems to be good, the latest original drivers from August 21st have been patched to work on clones. the amount of different images is crazy, new ones coming out every day.

Back