The death of Sky

suffolktoon

Inactive User
Reaction score
It suddenly struck me when I was watching the England coverage on AJ tonight how odd it was that they were providing a massively English centric coverage of the game tonight. The presenter was familiar and the studio pundits were Alan Shearer, Peter Reid and Sam Allardyce. Loads of games were taking place across Europe tonight yet their English service was all about England.

It seems a bit extravagant to provide this level of coverage for a relatively small English ex-pat community in the Middle East and North Africa. I can see why they use a second audio channel of English on commentaries because I can see an ex-pat German understanding English better than Arabic commentary. The pundits and sole discussion of England v Montenegro seems OTT.

Then I thought, perhaps this is just the prelude to them going in hard the next time the Premier League is up for grabs in the UK. Nobody can deny that they do a very decent job of it.

I don't have BT sport but I haven't read of any disaster so far. I can see the pair of them carving up the rights next time and Rupert being squeezed out. I wonder how long Sky would last without their football coverage.

i think the lack of lives games together is the problem. if sky showed it lik AJ did with as many games i think some people wouldnt mind paying the premium too much although its damm expensive

Worth bumping after today's announcement about BT Sport and the CL.

I smell blood.

Sly always seem to come up with something though so it'll be interesting to see how they attempt to counter this?

Sky can put whatever spin they want about today's announcement that BT have nabbed the next bunch of 3 year CL & Europa games - all they want.

That's a major kick to the b*llox for the thieving b*stards.

Pardon my French

if it helps in the demise of that money grabbing lot

i say well done BT bring it on about time that empire didnt get all they want @ our expense

Sky are going to have to make Sky Sports a pack that's available without the the need of a base pack included.

Crazy money now to watch Sport via them.

Al Jazeera sport all the way. Quality jumped a notch a couple of days ago. No need for sky at all.

Al Jazeera sport all the way. Quality jumped a notch a couple of days ago. No need for sky at all.

If I could find a garanteed vpn / dns that'll remain for the season without getting blocked I'd sub and cancel sly altogether although I hear overplay is working again.

If I could find a garanteed vpn / dns that'll remain for the season without getting blocked I'd sub and cancel sly altogether although I hear overplay is working again.
I had serious issues last week, but this week and most other weeks have been fine with Overplay.

Two things worth noting.

If your screen stalls it's worth scrolling back a couple of minutes as soon as you log on as this defeats that problem if it is a deliberate ploy of theirs. No such problem today.

Take no notice of the banner at the top. Just tried to get Villa and Southampton games on from the banner and each one came up with the Leicester v Forest game. Scroll down past the screen where it shows all the games and click on the link. The URL when you do it this way ends in event nnnn and you get the correct game whereas from the banner it ends up with plus1, plus2 etc. Also lists a channel .TV which is not on the banner. That channel today showing the Hibernian game.

I am getting issues with full screen but that could be down to my PC.

theres no reason now for sky to charge silly money for sky sports , and they had there silly f1 channel thats been carried by standard sport contributions ,

Last edited:
Can you see the price dropping though? More like they will add a little cost to people watching f1.

if bt lose there line rental people will flock over from sky , my phone rings twice aweek and its f'ing sales lol ,, no one needs fixed phone that much now

f1 try starsports india vpn needed about £5.99 full season

sky carry btsports, bt offer BT sports free to those who take their broadband package and will enable the channel via the sky service, sky can offer 'free' bt sports to those who take the FULL sky package, and sky broadband, and pay BT the 'per subscriber' cost, and still not lose any money as they charge BT to carry the channel via satellite anyway. so get your full sky package, and broadband etc rom sky, and they will throw in access to BTsports for free, i bet thats what will happen, and BT wont be able to do fook all about it, as sly wont actually be making a penny from the service, as theyre giving it away

It's very clear that there is movement towards streaming services and TV on demand.
I live in Denmark, but am a UK national, and do not miss UK TV at all. As the average consumer gets a bit more tech savy, and easier ways to integrate streaming into your TV (like Netflix) become more prevalent, Sky will face stiffer competition. I also think that eventually, all the EPL games will become available to people in the UK. There are already very good quality free streams available, so Sky/EPL/FA are fighting a losing battle, because the demand is clearly there and will only get stronger.

Back