Television licence fee to be frozen for next six years

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The TV licence fee, which funds the BBC, is to be frozen for six years at £145.50, the chancellor has confirmed.

The BBC will also take over the cost of the World Service, currently funded by the Foreign Office, as well as part-funding Welsh language TV channel S4C.

All the changes mean a 16% real terms cut in BBC funds over six years.

Director general Mark Thompson said it was "a realistic deal in exceptional circumstances securing a strong independent BBC".

Continue reading the main story Related storiesBBC must do more with less moneyS4C's legal challenge on BBC move
George Osborne said the changes in funding amounted to "£340m of savings a year for the Exchequer by 2014-15"

"To ensure that the cost of these new obligations is not passed on to the licence fee payer, the BBC has agreed a funding deal for the full duration of its charter review."

The arrangement was to freeze the licence fee for the next six years, he said.

"This deal helps almost every family and is equivalent to a 16% saving in the BBC budget over the period, similar to the savings in other major cultural institutions," Mr Osborne told the Commons.

Money the BBC had ringfenced to pay for the switchover to digital TV - about £150m a year - will now contribute to the broadband rollout.

Gerry Morrissey, general secretary of broadcasting union Bectu, said he was "alarmed" by Mr Osborne's announcement.

"It seems as if the BBC is now doing the government's dirty work. They have thrown in the towel, so they will now have to justify the cuts to staff," he said.

"How can you cut 16% off your costs without affecting jobs or services? Morale at the BBC is already at rock bottom, but now there is little or no confidence in the management."

'Cavalier and short-termist'

The BBC Trust earlier warned the government it would fight any move to force the corporation to meet the cost of free television licences for the over-75s.

A trust spokeswoman said it would be "unacceptable" for licence fee payers to foot the bill.

Last month, Foreign Secretary William Hague told MPs the World Service was of "huge importance" but could not expect to be immune from cost-cutting.

"Can the BBC World Service make itself more efficient and therefore contribute to the spending round? Yes, I think it can and it thinks it can," Mr Hague told the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee.

But shadow foreign secretary Yvette Cooper said she was concerned about the announcement.

"It is alarming that only 24 hours before the spending review, the funding of the World Service has been completely up in the air," she said.

"Although editorially independent, the World Service is a key component of UK diplomacy and does important work promoting British values and open debate across the world.

"Jettisoning it from the Foreign Office at this late stage, without serious consultation or a strategy for its future, is cavalier and short-termist."

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport currently funds S4C to the tune of just under £100m a year.

Along with the channel, the BBC will also take over the cost of BBC Monitoring, which monitors, translates and analyses media coverage from around the world.

BBC News - Television licence fee to be frozen for next six years

With ofcom giving youview the go-ahead I think the TV licence is finally worth some value.

It's just a tax on owning a tv, should be scrapped.

I think there is some stuff that the BBC produces that is world class that would not get made if programming was made on a business decision. Things like web site, iplayer, kids channels, documentries.

I think there is some stuff that the BBC produces that is world class that would not get made if programming was made on a business decision. Things like web site, iplayer, kids channels, documentries.

totally.

Some of what the BBC produces is 1st rate. The diversity it offers without selling it's soul to non-stop comercials is to be applauded.

all the beeb channels are a pleasure to watch advert free, nevermind the radio stations, extensive web presence, education, etc.

even if you got ads they would probably keep a licence fee. we pay a licence fee in ireland and they have adverts on RTE :(

I stopped paying the licence ages ago. Anything I want to watch I watch in iplayer or download it, but we mostly watch downloaded US TV shows.

we have to pay it here if we have a tv in the house, whether you actually watch it or not.

I remember going back a while, some guy took the tuner out of his TV and just had the AV input, now this was at a time whn you didn't get BBC etc on analogue sat. Anyway, he went to court over it and lost???

I also remember subbing to sky for the basic analogue pack with my understanding that there would be no adverts, lo and behold, it wasn't long before, up started to pop adverts, i was tamping (i though, i'm not paying to watch ads) cancelled soon as. Be like adds popping up on BBC1

Last edited:
so that means that legally, ill now pay the same for the next 6 years as ive paid for the last 3?

which is fook all :proud:

Had the TV license guy in last week, confirmed i dnt watch a live TV feed and he said no probs i take you off the system.

i do same as captain, iPlayer and leech all my shows and watch when I want.

Had the TV license guy in last week, confirmed i dnt watch a live TV feed and he said no probs i take you off the system.

i do same as captain, iPlayer and leech all my shows and watch when I want.

That surprises me, I thought as long as you had some screen giving off an rf signal that could possibly pick up BBC, they made you payup.

no m8 the TV license is for reciveing the live signal.

it been discussed on here numerous times yet some ppl still think if u own a TV you have to pay up. lol

BBC iPlayer - Help - Do I need a TV licence to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer?

just some info i had on ps3 if he tried to be wide, but they guy was good, no hassel just came in looked and went no worries.

if you need any more info call them up and ask they were good when i told them i was stopping it and she told me how i could still use my TV.

I stopped paying the licence ages ago. Anything I want to watch I watch in iplayer or download it, but we mostly watch downloaded US TV shows.

Have you not seen teh adverts about this Captin. According to which, your breaking the law!! However, I think we all know that you dont need a tv license for iplayer or watching tv online.

Just another way of trying to fleece people. How the BBC can justify a license these days is incredulous to me. FFS they pay their staff and stars way over the odds, and their expenses are even higher than most MPs. Which we the license fee payer, and covering as part of the license fee.

However, I think we all know that you dont need a tv license for iplayer or watching tv online.
yer wrong m8, even if u watch TV online and at the same time it is being broadcast then you are liable for the lisence fee.

On Demand services you are not.

as for leeching, the law your breaking would be the copyright and not for breach of the TV license.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it simple for ppl who want to know the facts just goto their web site or call them up and ask, and hear it from the horses mouth.

;)

yer wrong m8, even if u watch TV online and at the same time it is being broadcast then you are liable for the lisence fee.

Not according to tvlicensing.biz mate.

As tvcatchup and other sites are technically delayed, then your not watching live. Therefore you dont need a license. I only know this as I read a thread here a while ago, and was informed of this information then. I believe someone took it to court and won, as they were watching it online, which is not technically live. Read the above website mate, explains it much better than I can.

However if you were watching it live as it happens, then yes indeed you would need a license. Think you misinterpreted my post mate.

Viewers who watch television on their computer could be forced to pay the licence fee as early as next year.
Those who do not own a TV but watch programmes on services such as the BBC's iPlayer do not have to pay the £145.50 annual charge.
But Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt yesterday hinted that this exemption could be stopped.
The Tory MP revealed that he plans to discuss the issue with BBC Director General Mark Thompson when the corporation's funding levels come up for review next year.

Viewers who watch TV on computer could be charged from next year, hints minister

article-1297660-050925CA000005DC-144_468x402.jpg

It follows growing evidence that more television viewers are turning to online servies to watch their favourite programmes.

The BBC's technology chief Erik Huggers recently expressed concern that some viewers are getting 'a free ride' by watching its shows on the internet rather than on television.

He suggested increasing the cost of the TV licence to include the iPlayer.

But Mr Hunt said he would not be in favour of simply charging anyone who owned a computer in the same way that anyone who owns a TV has to pay the licence fee.

Speaking on BBC1's Andrew Marr show yesterday, he said: 'What we have said very clearly is that we accept the principle of the licence fee which is the idea, if you like, of a household tax to fund public service broadcasting that is ring-fenced.
'We think one of the reasons we have some of the best television and broadcasting in the world in this country is because we have these different streams of income, including the licence fee, including subscription income and including advertising.
'Now, the way we collect it may have to be rethought because technology is changing. A lot of people are watching TV on their PCs.
'We are not going to introduce a PC licence fee. That is something [about which] I do need to have discussions with the BBC to see what their ideas are.'
Asked about changes in the price of the licence fee, he added: 'We haven't had any discussion at all about the level of the licence fee, that's something we'll be doing next year.'

A review by the BBC's governing body, the BBC Trust, revealed 40 per cent of students in halls of residence use a laptop as their main way to watch TV.
It admitted that some viewers might 'forgo live television entirely' by watching catch-up services.
The iPlayer makes shows available for seven days after they were broadcast.

A spokesman for the TaxPayers' Alliance described the licence fee as 'increasingly outdated'.
'The Government should be looking for a source of funding that means fewer people are charged for programmes they don't watch or listen to,' the spokesman said.
'The first step should be to cut the licence fee and force the BBC to start operating more efficiently and cutting back on the bloated bureaucracy that consumes too much of its resources.'

Last edited:
ive had them in, after they hounded me for ages, they looked round, saw my 37" monitor on the wall, saw no sky box, virgin box, aerial, nothing, as i dont have sky or virgin or freeview

then they left and ive heard nothing since

lol thats what i was saying m8, you can watch catchup, onDemand iPlayer like services you dont need to pay the license fee.

you said if you watch TV online you dont have to pay. Well if you goto the TV license OWN site you will see if you watch a live TV channel on the inter web via puter or even mobile phone THEN you are liable to pay.

;)

Back