Driving Licence renewal?

HibbyDave

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone renewed their driving licence at a post office recently? mine is due for renewal and would normally do it
online but without a current passport, mine ran out 2 years ago I'll have to got to post office for it, now it states the
cost for this is £21.50 on DVLA letter and on DVLA website but spoke to my mate this morning and he says he done
his in December and the cants charged him £70? of which £25 was returned to him as they'd overcharged him, he
had asked them at the time why the £70 as the letter said £21.50 but they had said it's because they have to take a
new photo as it was 10 years since last one on his licence and it needs updated.

I told him he'd been had as the photo is only an electronic one and there's no way it costs £50 for that. :confused:

I had mine done last year £21.50 and they took the photo. I was in the same boat passport had expired and then id no need to renew it.

I had mine done last year £21.50 and they took the photo. I was in the same boat passport had expired and then id no need to renew it.

yeah that's what I'm thinking mate, they cant say £21.50 and ram you for another £50 when you go in lol.

I think my mates been had, my local post office tried to charge me £11.00 for a small parcel last year when
it was only £3.95 according to royal mail website, it's like a free for all with businesses at the moment, charge
whatever the f**k you want. :mad:

My wife recently did hers online which was a breeze tbh. I would assume the £21.50 at the post office would include the photo needed for the passport.
No way would I have paid £70 as that is taking the piss and would have gone to another post office.
I would also have thought it would’ve told you on the letter that there will be a charge for the photo. 🙄

My wife recently did hers online which was a breeze tbh. I would assume the £21.50 at the post office would include the photo needed for the passport.
No way would I have paid £70 as that is taking the piss and would have gone to another post office.
I would also have thought it would’ve told you on the letter that there will be a charge for the photo. 🙄

It's a strange one mate, I'm going in on Wednesday to get mine done and I'm going to ask why
he was charged £70, he's an honest humble Cabby just like myself ;) and I've known him for
years and he wouldn't bullshit me.

Even with the £25 refund they charged £21.50 plus the extra £23.50 for the photo. No way can they charge you 23.50 for a photo ffs, he wasn’t getting married. Definitely something fishy imo and he probably hasn’t kept the receipt neither 🙄

I did mine just before Xmas as I still had the old paper one that would have run out last weekend.

I got a letter in December with a form to fill in and postback or it said I could do it online, so I went online.
Unfortunately as my passport had expired some years back they said they would have to send me another form asking for more information, a photo and proof I was me and that I lived at my address.

My main problem was getting an "approved" person to sign the back of the photo to say it was me but I just had to send that, my old licence and my proof of my name and address and all it cost me was the price of the stamp. Maybe it was because it needed renewing as I was 70 and not ten years that it was free though.

Prices are here :: looks like £21.50 at Post Office, a photo change - possibly an extra £17

Driving licence fees

Did your mate use the Post Office or one of the Online Sites ?? -- some Non-Dlva ones charge you a fee (scammers)

Back