Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Telephone Line snapped help (sky multiroon telephone ext adaptor)

how many boxes do you have?

all boxes in the house should be connected to phoneline.

is it a second box?

Noooooooooooooooo! B&Q do a cheapo krone tool....

why the big Nooooooooooooo....ive done this plenty of time without any harm.... when you loss or brake the krone tool in the field you got to use something ;)

@Buzzer i have 2 boxs and the one upstairs is connected and the one in the living is mate.Tbh its driven me up the wall i refuse to pay 65 for a sky enginner to come out.I will get it sorted. any suggestions i will happily try.

so is the dwonstairs box connected ok?
and you have only one cable from your bt point?

i thought the sky boxes only had to be connected for the first 12 months to a phone line.
but there again, i some mates who never have connected to phone line and never had a letter saying otherwise

i thought the sky boxes only had to be connected for the first 12 months to a phone line.
but there again, i some mates who never have connected to phone line and never had a letter saying otherwise

with 1 box that is the case, tbh dont really need to be connected at all.

but with multiroom sky insist on it,...
i have heard stories of sly charging full price for multiroom boxes when not connected...

with the phone numbers,
the boxes automatically do callbacks and sly hq moniters the phone numbers.

when boxes are installed, a callback is done, sly records the phone number.
callbacks are then done periodically to check box is in same location

@DJ999 tbh i thought exactly what you said i thought it was only 12months but there you go i shall tell it to stick it soon cause tbh i dont no why i need to be connected all the bloody time.Me personally think its just to be noesy and get stats for what your watching.the funny thing is its been broke for 3-4months then yesterday got a letter.

If you have multiroom all boxes must be connected to same phone line so Sky can tell that all boxes are in the same address. Reason for this is simple, you could say have a sky package at say £50/month, then pay an extra £10 for multiroom and give second box to a m8 or family member then go dutch on the bill i.e. £30/month each. To stop this fraud sky want to monitor where the boxes are at all times i.e. on the same phone line. If you disconnect the phone line then sky will write and warn you that the phone lines need connecting, if you ignore them then in time you will get a seperate bill for each box i.e. £50 each/month. Sky do this to force your hand into reconnecting the phone lines. Sometimes disconnected lines for multiroom will go unnoticed by sky for ages, however should you ever contact them for any reason, by miracle they will send you a letter warning that your boxes need connecting to the phone line. This works well for sky unless you run a phone line from your address to you neighbours homes and split the bill equally! But beware your neighbours could hammer your phone bill! When you take out a new contract for a single box sky's t&c's insist you connect the phone line for 1st 12 months, after which you can disconnect. Sky tell us they do this just so they can monitor customer viewing preferences. This makes no difference to the customer as sky will make the inital phone line connection as part of the inital install so costs you FA. For new contract with single box sky used to charge you an extra £25 for the install if no phone line is connected, I don't know if this charge still stands?

To reconnect your second box, buy a standard phone extension cable from the likes of Argos (the type where it piggybacks from your master bt socket. Or get some phone cable remove the front from your bt master socket and connect your phone cable, blue to 2, blue and white to 5 and forget about other connectings as only orange to 3 needs connecting if using as a phone line to activate bell ringer. If connecting to a slave socket then just blue to 2, blue and white to 5. You should use a krone tool to make the connections as a krone tool will make sure connections are good, however you can improvise. There is no need to strip insulation on the wires as the connections will bite throug the insulation when using a krone tool (costs about £3-4).

If still not sure then get our your local paper and phone any tv aerial engineer who will be happy to do the job for about £25. Connections can be checked using a multimeter you will get approx 50v dc if you've selected right connections, polarity will make no difference unless your trying to connect an obscure modem to the bt line.

Regarding your existing wiring, sometimes sky engineers will connect any colour wire to any terminal they fancy, provided they connect 2 to 2, 5 to 5 it don't matter what wiring colour scheme they use.

At the end of the day basic phone lines are not rocket science!

@headwest thanks very much i shall go up arggy monday and get some and if i get lost ill ring around i cant thank all you enough for your help.Its much appriciated

@Buzzer regarding PM sorry i didnt phone you if i do get utter stuck then ill give you a bell mate.

But thanks ever so much for all of your help its much appriciated.

Back