system restore problem

dj999

Inactive User
Reaction score
since last thursday trying to do a system restore in normal and safe mode but keep getting this message(see attatchment) and its pissing me off, cos the pc is running slow.
i know wot the problem is causing it to go slow, a file thats was downloaded with adoobe flash player update, wasn't paying proper attention and when i delete the files(can only delete in safe mode) they reapppear when i reboot.

The malware program will not runh as you have a virus that's stopping it. As Manofscience has said you must run in safe mode, turn system restore off, for all drives, and get rid of the file/virus.

Another way of deleting that file is to maybe run mini xp of Hiren's BootCD

Download Hiren's BootCD

Boot to mini xp and then look for the file on your C: drive and get rid of it. I have not tried myself but maybe you will also be able to run malwarebytes from there too. If so get it to look at the C: drive.

Failing this you could use another pc, in safe mode, with your C: drive as a slave, or even another HD, if you got one spare, and put xp or W7 on it, then check the old C: drive from there.

in the task manager<Processes Tab> the 2 files keep reappering after i keep killing them.
i can tell when they reappear cos the pc goes slow. i just to get rid of them.
they are Rtesea.exe and Rbp.exe if anyone has heard of them.

From My Mate Google

The following threats are known to be associated with the file "rbp.exe":
Threat Alias Number of Incidents
Backdoor.Slackbot.10 [Symantec] 1
Backdoor.Win32.Slackbot [Ikarus] 1
Backdoor.Win32.Slackbot.b [Kaspersky Lab] 1
Backdoor:Win32/Slackbot.D [Microsoft] 1
DDoS-Slack [McAfee] 1
Troj/Slack [Sophos] 1
TROJ_DLDER.A [Trend Micro] 1
Trojan.Slackbot.B [PC Tools]

did it atleast install malwarebytes? thats all you need to do, boot into 'safe mode with networking' so u can still update it - then do a full scan.

as another option , try McAfee's standlone trojan killer : McAfee Threat Center

The files you mention must br trojans trhe Rtesea.exe being a derivative of the rbp.exe which as noodles reports is indeed a trojan in disguise.

In safemode log on as admin, turn off system restore then try a regedit, look for the files, and if there delete them. Then run malwarebytes and if clean reboot. If files are gone then turn on system restore again.

Let us know how you get on.

What OS are you on by the way?

Try this m8

I had the same issue with Malwarebytes on an office PC that had many infections. The way I corrected it was to COPY the mbam.exe file, paste the copy into the SAME directory as mbam.exe, RENAME the COPY to xxx.exe. Run the xxx.exe to execute a Malwarebytes scan.

Why would you not want to rename the actual mbam.exe file? Because if Malwarebytes requires a reboot to clean an infection, mbam.exe is the file that Malwarebytes will be looking to run after the reboot to complete the removal.

tried again using Malwarebytes, still doing nothin in safe mode.
but have got Trojan Remover and that has not picked up rtesea nor rbp files.

Back