Switching to Macbook pro + Using Dbox2

silvershadow21

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
been searching about for these answer but haven't had much joy 2nite.

I have been on the Dbox scene for a good few years now, and had alot of success with using IFA /FTP/ Yweb, etc,

all of the above with my Pc, using OS (Vista + XP).

I have just purchased a macbook pro laptop, and was wondering if the same programs would be available for doing all of the above, on a Mac ?.

I am aware that you can install XP or Vista on a Mac using the Bootcamp facility, and continue to use all of the above programs,
but tbh, i was hoping to use the Mac for Flashing my Dbox, & Uploading service files etc..

Is this do-able ?

Does anybody use a Mac, and has had success

all the best guys, any advice or help appreciated

Tom

hi silver,

I have been using my mackbook pro to do this for ages and in short the answer is YES.

BUT like to said you will have to use bootcamp or a dual boot software such as VMware fusion. Il go through the options below with pros and cons:

Boot camp- Just install windows on your mac and boot up in windows mode. If you use a partition of 32gb or less you can transfer files to and from osx - windows internally without using a USB stick. 33gb or more you will have to use a usb stick.

PROS- You will use the full cpu,RAM and graphics giving you a better experience.
below 32gb easy transfer of files.

Cons - above 32gb you will have to use usb stick.
you will have to boot in windows or osx NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME
trackpad and clicking sufferes from being over sensitive.

VMware FUSION- install software costs £39 or free from the usual places ;) then install windows in the easy installer supplied or import your bootcamped windows.

PROS- Run windows and osx at the same time. It just like another windows open.
Run windows programs in osx simple click the file and select windows compatibility. Great for dbox stuff ;)
Trackpad runs just like in osx
Share files between the 2 systems via a shared folder or share the whole macbook
Running both win and osx at the same time doesnt slow the mackbook at all.

CONS - not great for gaming as the processor ram and graphics is shared between the 2 systems ONLY with the dual boot is activated.

Conclusion -Well i have both, i bootcamped first using the easy apple installer at 32gb. Like i said great for games such as COD. I then got vmware fusion and its excellent for everyday activites like burning or dbox stuff. Im finding myself using vmware more and more but i'm glad i've bootcamped just so i have the option to use the full power of apple on windows. (i have xp installed) my m8's gone for vista, but i just hate vista its a slower bug ridden version of xp in my view.

Hope this has helped.

P

hi silver,

I have been using my mackbook pro to do this for ages and in short the answer is YES.

BUT like to said you will have to use bootcamp or a dual boot software such as VMware fusion. Il go through the options below with pros and cons:

Boot camp- Just install windows on your mac and boot up in windows mode. If you use a partition of 32gb or less you can transfer files to and from osx - windows internally without using a USB stick. 33gb or more you will have to use a usb stick.

PROS- You will use the full cpu,RAM and graphics giving you a better experience.
below 32gb easy transfer of files.

Cons - above 32gb you will have to use usb stick.
you will have to boot in windows or osx NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME
trackpad and clicking sufferes from being over sensitive.

VMware FUSION- install software costs £39 or free from the usual places ;) then install windows in the easy installer supplied or import your bootcamped windows.

PROS- Run windows and osx at the same time. It just like another windows open.
Run windows programs in osx simple click the file and select windows compatibility. Great for dbox stuff ;)
Trackpad runs just like in osx
Share files between the 2 systems via a shared folder or share the whole macbook
Running both win and osx at the same time doesnt slow the mackbook at all.

CONS - not great for gaming as the processor ram and graphics is shared between the 2 systems ONLY with the dual boot is activated.

Conclusion -Well i have both, i bootcamped first using the easy apple installer at 32gb. Like i said great for games such as COD. I then got vmware fusion and its excellent for everyday activites like burning or dbox stuff. Im finding myself using vmware more and more but i'm glad i've bootcamped just so i have the option to use the full power of apple on windows. (i have xp installed) my m8's gone for vista, but i just hate vista its a slower bug ridden version of xp in my view.

Hope this has helped.

P

Brilliant,
Cannot thank you enough for this concise tutorial, and i will follow ur tips on this, but i take it from your explanation above, u cannot flash a dbox using a Mac's operating system alone, only a PC's (unless u have Xp installed via bootcamp), on your mac

all the best man

No problem mate.

And yea thats right you cannot flash using osx. You can install VMware fusion and run it that way as it will allow you to run .exe in osx but there may be compatibility issues. Otherwise bootcamp

glad it helped good luck :)

No problem mate.

And yea thats right you cannot flash using osx. You can install VMware fusion and run it that way as it will allow you to run .exe in osx but there may be compatibility issues. Otherwise bootcamp

There is no thanks button on this site,so....................Thanks..............very helpful mate !!

How Goes,
you cant flash via ifa
but i ftp the box using 'Cuteftp'
very simple to used and flashed various images with this

only time it can't be used if the box has been stuck on kernal.

other than that all aspects are fine:)

No problem mate.

U can flash with OSX, but you'll need to workout how to run the dhcpd, bootp, tftpd & nfsd.

hi,you can use mac, I have powerbook g4 osx and if you use classic ftp(witch is a free download) you can connect to the dbox.

Maybe someone who has a mac or is running a hackingtosh could activescript it?

hi,you can use mac, I have powerbook g4 osx and if you use classic ftp(witch is a free download) you can connect to the dbox.

Hi killphill

Like i said you cant FLASH using osx, what your talking about is ftp'ing files across which i never said you cant do! Then use these files to flash the box.

But if the box is stuck on a kien system then you will need to straight flash using the usual programs which you cant on OSX as it doesn't execute .exe

Back