supermarkets and hospitals could spark refunds for millions of motorists

joe516

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Millions of people given extortionate car parking charges outside train stations, NHS hospitals and supermarkets could be in line for a refund thanks to a new campaign.

Cambridge law graduate Michael Green, 22, is leading a legal battle to have the 'fines' overturned in what could be Britain's largest ever group litigation.

Private companies which run car parks outside some of Britain's biggest store chains - including Aldi, Lidl, B&Q and PC World - will often allow customers to park for free, but threaten a large fine for exceeding a certain time limit.

However, Mr Green believes that these fines are unlawful - and is trying to gather 100,000 cases together to go to the High Court and prove it.

Legal battle over 'illegal' car park fines could spark refunds for millions | Daily Mail Online

I think part of the issue is the deception used by companies like parking eye to collect the 'fines' which are not fines at all.

However I do agree that sometimes there is a lot of abuse of the parking, however I am pretty certain that these car parks are not 'run' by these parking enforcer as the supermarket can squash these invoices.

Had a few of these fines myself this past couple of years! not paid a penny..

First i tried the ignore scenario. that got rid of 2 of them.. then i had a pesky fine which had gone up and up.. £300.. last chance before court..

Sent a nice letter which is templated all over the place.. not heard anything for 2-3 months..

@manic01 For me its not about the breaking the rules and paying.. its about the game we play.. it to me is a real buzz to get away with things like this..

Last edited by a moderator:
Private company's just out to make easy money on the poor motorist.

Had a few of these fines myself this past couple of years! not paid a penny..

First i tried the ignore scenario. that got rid of 2 of them.. then i had a pesky fine which had gone up and up.. £300.. last chance before court..

Sent a nice letter which is templated all over the place.. not heard anything for 2-3 months..

@manic01 For me its not about the breaking the rules and paying.. its about the game we play.. it to me is a real buzz to get away with things like this..

agreed, go to MSE (martin lews site) for advice and templates about this as the rules changed 2 years ago and recently again when the unfair contracts act was amended

if you do break the rules, then maybe a fair charge of a tenner is ok, but not £100 or say £300 like proserve charge for trespassing

Last edited by a moderator:
Back