Sun Outage Problem This Morning

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was going to title this thread saying something like ' Inexplicable Fade of Signal', but I'm pretty sure I know what caused the problem.

This morning, at roughly 8.15, I moved my dish over to 53.5 east to see if a feed I'd been watching recently was active again. Sadly not, but I scrolled through my list of normal channels. getting a decent enough signal quality. I switched from USALS to DisEqC1.2 to peak the signal but quickly became confused by a steady drop in quality.

I moved the dish a little from side to side but pretty rapidly I lost signal on all channels. At this point in time, the sun was beginning to rise over the roof of a nearby house and I thought perhaps the sudden rise in temp of the LNB might be causing the situation. So I moved the dish over to 45 east and everything was as normal. Then it occurred to me that the sun was almost exactly behind the 53.5 east position a little earlier.

Swinging the dish back to 53.5 east, I was now getting my normal signal qualities on all channels. This is the first time I've managed to pin down the reason for sudden signal loss like this but a quick google searched revealed this to be a regular albeit transient phenomenon.

at this time of the year the sun tracks the arc, from 26 Feb to 3 Mar, it's path is directly behind it, so it's a good time to check your line of sight.

Bang on time this morning, all the channels on 53 east disappeared and then slowly came back 10 mins or so afterwards.

At approx 8.45am all channels on 46 east slowly drifted away only to reappear very slowly some 15 mins or so later.

Bit of fun maybe.:Biggrin2:

Back