Streaming from PC to DM800 woes

steharg

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im having trouble setting this streaming malarky up from my PC (Win Xp) to dreambox 800HD using VLC

Ive followed guides both from here and elsewhere and from previous posts but I cannot for the life of me get it to work.

I have it all setup as the guides suggest, but when I play the file its just a blank screen.

VLC on the pc tells me its playing the file.
Dreambox tells me its playing

but its just blank, even in the web interface for vlc on the pc it tells me its playing but still nothing on screen.

Ive tried different images (currently on DBUK1.1), different versions of VLC down to 0.86, updated plugins, tried different file formats - avi, mpg2, mpg1 but still nothing... yet i see all the guides saying it works basically straight away.

Has anyone else had this problem of blank screen or think of what could be causing it?

thanks

I'd suggest a step by step approach.
First, check that the file you are trying to stream will play on the DM from its local media. So copy ot to your DMs disk and make sure it plays. That will tell you that all the right codecs are working.
Next, try sharing or NFS mounting your PCs disk to the DM. Then try to play the file as above.
If all that works, and you don't like the idea of sharing/mounting your PC disk and really need to have the file streamed from your PC, come back and we'll have another try

Cheers, wasnt too keen on mounting the PC drive but tried that again and its only gone and worked!!
God knows what ive done differently but it works which is what Im after so I can play files over the network... saves transferring stuff onto a USB drive then into the dreambox as I dont have an internal drive for it.

Wouldnt mind knowing why it doesnt work through VLC though, would save me converting files first but what the hell... im happy!!

Back