Strange fault with system32 file

wizbit77

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Would like some help and advice if possible.
My friends computer gave up the ghost and I have been trying to fix it for him.
The first strange thing is that even though cd drive is set higher than the hard drive it doesn't boot from a cd when inserted.
It will just keep on restarting itself and then eventually after several minutes it will give the error of System32 file folder not found.

I took the drive out and tried it on my computer and it had the same fault so it seems it is definately a hard drive fault.

The strange thing is that I go to where the system32 file should be and it isn't there. But if you try and create a new file with the same name it won't allow it, as it already exists.

Anybody have any ideas ?

I have usually just slung in the cd to restart the computer but as it isn't allowing the cd to kick in I am at a loss as what to do.

Thanks
Wizbit

it's not getting as far as booting from the cd.
It restarts before that point. I have even set the boot sequence to not include the hdd at all.
The comp starts and the cd starts spinning but before it gets any further it does an auto restart.
I have set the thingy in the system settings to not do an auto system restart on fault detection but it still does it.
I have the Hdd set as the slave to my working hdd now.
Can I go into it and repair the mbr without having it set as the master?
Cheers again

The line below should do it where the * is the number of the rive you need to fix. Your master drive for instance should be fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0, and your slave should be fixmbr \Device\HardDisk1

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk*

Let us know how you get on.

I have tried entering the line of code you have given me through command prompt and it don't seem to do out.?
nearing whits end computers aren't much fun when they are broke......

it's not getting as far as booting from the cd.
It restarts before that point. I have even set the boot sequence to not include the hdd at all.
The comp starts and the cd starts spinning but before it gets any further it does an auto restart.
I have set the thingy in the system settings to not do an auto system restart on fault detection but it still does it.
I have the Hdd set as the slave to my working hdd now.
Can I go into it and repair the mbr without having it set as the master?
Cheers again
well sound to me like the cd u have isnt bootable

As in the threads above. When I insert the hdd that is faulty the computer does not get as far as booting from the c.d.
When I use my own hdd which is fine everything works as normal the computer starts up fine if I put the c.d. in the computer will boot from c.d.
Just this other hdd. I think if you read a couple of posts back you will understand the problem I am having better.
Think that I am just gonna have to bite the bullet and format it.
Wizbit77

Assuming it's your m8's pc we are talking of here, does the bios recognise the cd/dvd drive?

Does it have a floppy?

What model HDD is it? I ask this because you can get the utilities from the manufactures support site to fix analyse the drive and do a low level format on it if the drive is not damaged. You will need to create a floppy for the utlities and boot from that.

Sure PC can be stubborn on times but thats part of the learning curve and fun.

Try to seperate the CD and HDD onto different chains if availible.
IE. put them on different IDE leads.
Make ure HDD Primary Master and your CD Secondary Master.
Remove any other HDD's u may have in it.
It might be due to compatibilty between the two.

It been a long time since i seen this problem but anything worth a try.

I think you are going to have to accept the HDD is faulty, a format may cure it but I suspect that it is the controller that is going which is not repairable.

I would suggest backing it up onto your own drive if possible, then to try the reformat, if no luck then I would try another drive.

Messa

Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd come back and tell you what eventually happened.
Ended up with a new hard disc as the master with complete new install. The old HDD was formatted and is now the slave but I still have my doubts on it. It has however been working fine for the last month or so....
Thanks for everyones input and help
Wizbit77

Back