Startup Problems

Inactive User
Reaction score
Its been buggin me after i did it....

I was running windows error check on my main HDD and left it running. But stupidly i switched off my computer accidently not realising that it was still running!

Now for some strange reason, i can't start my computer back up again! It gets to the screen where you have the options for safe mode, last known good configuration and start windows normally.

Tried safe mode, last known good configuration and start windows normally options and it gets half way through loading and then my computer switches off and starts all over again! :grayno:

I dont know whats happened. Im wondering whether iv buggered the boot sectors on the HDD?

Im running Windows XP Home edition SP2
AMD 64 3700+
1gb DDR RAM
200GB SCSI HDD

Im not sure what to do.. Hope u guys can help

Thanks

I suspect you have corrupted the boot sector or something a bit furhter along so you need to get the PC into DOS mode at startup.

Use an XP or W98 boot disk and once there at the A promt A:\> type the following remembering to include the space after EXE. This will repair the boot sector.

A:\> FDISK.EXE /MBR

Let us know what happens then.

Yes put the windows cd in, boot from the cd, press r for repair then FIXBOOT and enter.
That should write a new boot sector.

yes - boot from the windoze cd and go to the repair console use fixboot and or fixmbr, that will fix the issue IF it is a boot sector issue.
However, you didn't say what type of "error check" you were doing when you powered down.
If you were doing any of : de-frag, scan & fix errors, recover bad sectors, then I am sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings, but you are probably fubared, and only a format with a re-install will get you back in service. You may even have to re-initialise the drive using the maker's install cd to get started again.

Good Luck

Well it was the error check where you right click on the HDD you want to check and go to the tools pannel and use the error check in that tab. I hope its repairable...

Argh im sooooooooo stupid! :(

Thanks guys neways

Wobbly hope that clears it up...

Ill try repairing it and ill post my results!

U might not need a format, there are two other things u can try first if the boot sector is not the problem.

Boot from the windows disk and press r for recovery console. At the prompt type chkdsk /r, this does the same job as your previous check so may resolve it,

If not try booting again form windows disk and select set up windows and at the second screen see if it gives you an option to repair an existing windows installation, you may need to manually reinstall drivers when completed but should resolve your problems without a full format and ur data will remain intact.

Last edited:
Thanks every1 for the advice, i should be able to get it going soon.

Only problem is that im in london at uni and my computer is in Leicester...

Ill have to wait till next weekend and then ill tell you what happened!

Thanks again everyone for the help most appreciated.

Back