Stairway Voted Best Song

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Led Zeppelin's haunting 1970s classic Stairway To Heaven has been voted the best pop song of all time - just a week after bagging best rock song in another poll.

More than 20,000 music fans voted - and amazingly no Beatles records made the top ten!

Zeppelin - fronted by the legendary Robert Plant - just beat One by U2 to top spot with Guns 'N Roses anthemic Sweet Child 'O Mine making third place.

John Lennon beats his band the Beatles with his solo classic Imagine, at no6. The Fab Four's first hit is Let It Be at no11.

Other classics in the top 20 include Queen's Bohemiam Rhapsody (7), Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison (12) and Wonderwall by Oasis (19).

The Virgin Radio poll also revealed the 1980s was the most popular decade - polling more votes in the top 500 than any other.

The decade that gave us Madonna, Wham! and Duran Duran gave the list 158, compared to 141 from the 1970s, 95 from the 1990s and only 60 from the 1960s. The rest were from the past five years.

Former Madness frontman and Virgin Radio DJ Suggs was delighted the 1980s had proved so popular.
"It's great to be back in fashion, although personally I've never felt like anything but a trend-setter," he said.

"The 80s produced loads of great songs from a host of talented bands, from The Specials and The Police to the Jam and U2 - and of course Madness, although how Baggy Trousers was only at number 486 I don't know."

Top 20:

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
One - U2
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Everybody Hurts - REM
Angels - Robbie Williams
Imagine - John Lennon
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Bitter Sweet Symphony - Verve
Hotel California - Eagles
Trouble - Coldplay
Let It Be - The Beatles
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Space Oddity - David Bowie
Pride - U2
Every Breath You Take - Police
Heart Of Glass - Blondie
Don't You Want Me - Human League
Wonderwall - Oasis
Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd

Just got round to reading the complete top 100 list. : shocked2
What a load of bollocks! :mad: :mad:
What sort people listen to Virgin Radio??? : tosser : : tosser :

: whip : : whip : : whip :

narabdela said:
What a load of ballocks! :mad: :mad:
Yep !! theres some good tracks there but not so sure I agree with that top twenty

:AMIFACE:

Back