Build advice Ssd

Bumblefoot

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thinking of getting an SSD, just a small 32 or 64Gb one to dip my toe in so to speak before going bigger, are there any drive manufacturers to avoid? Recommendations most welcome

iv got 2 ocz agilitys, and a ocz vertex 4 and they've been fine for me, great speeds compared to other some other ssd's, iv also had a couple of crucial ssd's but have now been sold on with the devices they were in, never had any problems from either though.

I don't think there is much point in going small TBH. you will soon run out of space with either 32gb or 64gb.

As for manufactures, I've been using samsung drives for the last year. Not the cheapest but very quick. The latest EVO range now use RAM (as long as you have 4GB) to cache read/writes.

depends what he plans on using them for, for just the os there fine and a few programs, obviously for storing stuff there no good, but as a boot device for the os a 64gb is more than enough, this is how i use them anyway, i dont store anything on my laptop or my acer revo, i store all my stuff on a nas drive and stream or download as i need stuff from the nas, so a big ssd to me is not worth the money too me.

I have not long moved over to SSD hard drive and to be honest at first I wasn't impressed, but later found out it needed a firmware upgrade after that it fly's along, since then I have moved over to a Kingston with faster read and right speeds only 120gb but that's big enough for me.

you will never look back m8 :)

Thanks for the replies, @ oneman as Big-Hol says I am only planning on putting the OS onto the SSD as I also have external storage

I've got SSD's in all my devices now - would never go back! So much snappier and smoother.

I've got a few Crucial drives and the rest are Sandisks - cheap and cheerful but definitely a huge improvement. I'd recommend 128gb as a minimum for a "PC". My main desktop pc has a 128gb ssd as the system drive and 500gb for data (I've got a server for main file storage) - I had a 64gb ssd in my laptop and desktop before and was constantly running out of space. Once you have windows, office and a handful of other "productivity" apps on there you're out of space - especially if you need to install a service pack or the like. My 64gb drives have been moved on to media centre pc's and server's, where essentially just the OS is installed.

Hope this helps

Just a PS - I wouldn't even think about 32gb. In any case, 128 gb ssd's can be had for well under £100 these days. It is money well spent!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a 128GB OCZ for just over a year and as others have said, I wouldn't go back. The sheer speed of rebooting itself is such a bonus not to mention how quick files from the SSD load up. All my games and storage are on HDDs but the OS and programmes run like a dream with the SSD. There's also a really good SSD guide on the homepage here with some great tips, i.e don't waste time defragging :)

Ok thanks for all the replies so far, I've taken the plunge and got myself a Samsung 840 pro 256Gb, reason was that even though I have external storage I was originally planning on putting the SSD in beside my existing hdd in my laptop until I opened it up last night to find only 1 bay, my last Acer had 2 bays, wtf Acer? Ho hum.

Ok thanks for all the replies so far, I've taken the plunge and got myself a Samsung 840 pro 256Gb, reason was that even though I have external storage I was originally planning on putting the SSD in beside my existing hdd in my laptop until I opened it up last night to find only 1 bay, my last Acer had 2 bays, wtf Acer? Ho hum.

most laptops only have one hdd bay except for more expensive or larger screen sized ones.

Back