SSD Hard Drives

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
as above title says which is the best to get SSD Hard Drive as in read and write speed i have a crucial v4 at moment and i don't think is the fastest out there, it is better than normal drive but to be honest i was expecting faster, looking for something about 120gb.

cheers for looking.

first of all have you got a SATA3 (6Gb) connection, if not then you are not going to notice much difference with the latest drives. Current king of the consumer SSD is probably the Samsung 840 Pro but even the standard 840 is pretty quick (£110 for 250GB with cashback at the moment).

Second thing, I am not sure were you are expecting a performance boost. Your system will be faster booting and loading apps. It will be faster when you have lots of small file disk access (like installing updates) but once are running, you are browser or playing back media or actual using the PC, you won't see a big difference unless your apps are disk heavy like database application.

my laptop is an acer 5734z so i have no idea about the 6gb connection, the one i got was recommended by crucial on there web site, i think i will just save me money as i don't think it will go much faster, thanks Oneman for your info :).

also check in your bios settings that it is set to AHCI and not IDE ....

............................................................................................

also check in your bios settings that it is set to AHCI and not IDE ....

............................................................................................

I checked that m8, laptop did it itself :)

my laptop is an acer 5734z so i have no idea about the 6gb connection, the one i got was recommended by crucial on there web site, i think i will just save me money as i don't think it will go much faster, thanks Oneman for your info :).

Looks like SATA2 (3Gb) connection. Also checked your CPU, sorry but quite old.

To be honest I don't think you are going to see much difference with a newer SSD drive.

How much memory have you got in the laptop ?

Looks like SATA2 (3Gb) connection. Also checked your CPU, sorry but quite old.

To be honest I don't think you are going to see much difference with a newer SSD drive.

How much memory have you got in the laptop ?

I have the max m8 4gb memory m8, I think to be honest i would be better off getting a new laptop more up to date, this is over 2 years old now.

anyone tried one of these in a satellite box (enigma2) of some sort?

anyone tried one of these in a satellite box (enigma2) of some sort?

i have already ask that before, was told it would on work at SATA 1 speed, but what you would gain is no spin up and spin down time, don't seem worth spending money just for that, maybe in the newer box's they would be OK.

I think this is a rather open ended question.
Its like asking which is the fastest laptop out there... on paper one model might have the highest specs, but when put in a real world situation, one user might feel it is faster than say another user.
My point being, its all down to the work the SSD has to do, basic win7 pro install it will be like lightning.... add the usual flurry of apps and theres more load on the SSD.

Maybe look at whats loading at startup, where your resources are being used and try do a little PC spring clean....

The intel SSDs are the ones to get as they are very well tested, so are robust and reliable. You get what you pay for. Win 7 with the operating system on the SSD starts up quick as a flash and is superb!

The intel SSDs are the ones to get as they are very well tested, so are robust and reliable. You get what you pay for. Win 7 with the operating system on the SSD starts up quick as a flash and is superb!

Intel has been left well behind on consumer SSD. Right now I would go for Samsung, their Pro series also comes with 5 years warranty. OCZ make good drives but the company is in real financial problems and if their go tits up then warranty could be useless. Corsair and Kingston had a spate of firmware problems but this now appears to be sorted, Neutron could be a good high performance drive and give the Samsung a run for its money. That leaves Crucial, M4 looks interesting, bit early to tell if there are any problems.

i have already ask that before, was told it would on work at SATA 1 speed, but what you would gain is no spin up and spin down time, don't seem worth spending money just for that, maybe in the newer box's they would be OK.

There's always the noise factor too, the hum of most mechanical HDD's can be quite annoying in an otherwise quiet environment. :angelwing

Back