BIOS/UEFI SSD compatible? How to tell

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very briefly- I have (1) an old-ish laptop (5ish?) and a spare SSD.

The laptop works OK, but is running Vista 32. I want to upgrade to Win7 and thought it would be a good opportunity to utilise the 128GB SSD I have.

I seem to remember reading recently (on here) that there is a bios setting that should be changed if using a SSD, question is how do I find out if my Fujitsu Amilo be up to it? Or is it even worth it?

TIA.

Should, not must ;)

But the setting you're looking for in the BIOS is the SATA control mode. You'll likely find that it has the options of IDE, AHCI, and RAID. To maximise SSD performance, set to AHCI. However, IDE mode won't harm the drive, just nobble transfer speed.

Many thanks for that @little_pob. I will have a go at this over the weekend & let you know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that weekend was a looooong time coming!! But just to let you know I did finally get around to fitting the SSD (albeit not to the PC it was originally intended for), found the AHCI setting in the BIOS and for the first time since I got it, the machine really feels like it means business! :thumbsup:

Back