Sponsorship TV adverts

codepatcher

DW Member +
Reaction score
TV adverts for Sponsorship are starting to irate me, there are one or two genuine causes which I feel deserve funding but may not get funds they desperately need because, if most people think the way I do - they would think about the vast amounts of money put into these adverts, it can't be cheap and they seem to be designed to target someone to extract funds from as many tom dick and harry's as possible. After all everyone has something they care about and whoever is behind all these similar adverts they seem to only care about tugging on as many heart strings as possible and getting $£€ from as many people as possible.

Is it that the only ones that are benefiting are the TV stations selling advertising slots?

How many people do you know that have sponsored a donkey? How many do you know that would sponsor a donkey?

Would all the funds from those genuine and nice folk that have sponsored a donkey, even cover the cost of the TV campaign, production, editing, voice overs and buying valuable TV advertising slots?

It makes me think its all more of a money racket than actually giving a hoot about the cause - what sort of percentage of donated funds even gets to the cause, 50%, 80% 95 or 99%. It looks like a percentage game to me.

Sponsor a donkey, a snow leopard, dog, a monkey, a child, a girl, a tree.

How did they make the donkey look so sad? I know, they tied him to a heavy cart, whipped him, starved him, soaked the poor animal with water then shot it in black a white to make it seem all the more depressing. They then make the poor thing look into the camera with a sad face and ask you for your money, not just a once off payment, but a monthly commitment. All to make it look like that there are donkey's up and down the country treated like this. Of course he's sad, look what you made him do for your advert.

I have earth worms in my garden that need sponsoring, they need to be relocated they don't look happy - they're in danger. You will get updates on how they are doing, please give just £9 a month. Please, before I use them as fishing bait. Someone somewhere might actually give me money for this.

I'm in no way against giving to charity, there are many many good causes out there that genuinely need funds. These adverts making me skeptical of the whole lot and I hate to say it.

I don;t like queuing at petrol stations either, any other sort of queue is fine, but petrol stations peeve me off. Probably because I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and petrol is way over priced and heavily taxed. I'm sure there is an idea in there for some sort of advert also.

Last edited:
to call your self a charity its 25% the rest can be eaten by admin fees and other costs. oh and that's before the money leaves the uk to go to corrupt officials in the place its ment to be helping

to call your self a charity its 25% the rest can be eaten by admin fees and other costs. oh and that's before the money leaves the uk to go to corrupt officials in the place its ment to be helping

So 25% has to go to the cause, and that 25% could be diminished further by corruption if it goes to another country. Its worse than I thought!

I don;t like queuing at petrol stations either, any other sort of queue is fine, but petrol stations peeve me off. Probably because I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and petrol is way over priced and heavily taxed. I'm sure there is an idea in there for some sort of advert also.

We could have an ad with you looking sad and defeated at the filling station in a clapped out Fiesta. Viewers could donate a few drops of petrol. :)

(Back on topic) totally agree, these ads have been pssing me off for some time with this guilt tripping nonsense. It gets to the sad point where you don't want to bother giving to any charity. I used to direct debit to 2 charities but once the cheeky fcukers start badgering you to up the monthly amount, it just made me cancel. There are too many charities, and a lot are creaming a nice amount of admin fees out of it and the way they go about their business just makes people not want to donate.

I used to direct debit to 2 charities but once the cheeky fcukers start badgering you to up the monthly amount, it just made me cancel.

Head, nail. That's why when I choose to give it's anonymous because if I give any contact details I'll never get rid of the tw*ts.

Show me a benevolent charity director on less than a six figure salary.

I have never been guilt tripped into giving money away to these parasites. I had a pair of tin-rattlers thrown out of my old local by the manager years back, the old bat had the cheek to question my ability to afford a pint but not want to give her money! She didn't even have a badge on, one of the manager's friends had been done for charity collection fraud in the past too. I don't have to justify why I decide not to give money to someone.

I was at university with someone who's father-in-law got a few years for charity fraud, it was in the papers when he got caught as he was a prominent local businessman, using charity yacht for personal purposes, money laundering, theft etc.

So "No thanks." is what they all hear from me.

here here, i couldnt have said this better myself.
I also get annoyed by the constant badgering from the doo good ers.
The tv isnt so bad for me, i run plex and tv is rubbish now so eveything we watch is now a stream.
But at work we have a staff notice board that has 2/3rds now with one charity or another, from twinning the toilets (yes that exists) to childrens hospices.
I used to like a previous poster donate, every month i would have direct debit set up to make a small donation, but all of a sudden i got a letter saying they are upping it!! from £1 per month to £5 per month, the excuse was a rise in admin fees from bank....... no choice......yeah right, i cancelled it right there and then.

We used to have signs all over my workplace about giving to charities inclusive of the toilets, now we just have the board, i and several others made complaints as it became too much. How much did i donate in the end to these charities sweet FA. I wont be pestered or coerced into paying my hard earned money to these people, i have a family and thats the most important charity.

As for petrol, do what i do, i fill up about midnight at the local asda 24hrs pumps, card in fill up and away, no queues no fuss.

I thought I was the only one that told the tv screen to get stuffed.. am pleased that there are many like me who for last few years has noticed the massive amounts that are spent on tv adverts. This scam has got bigger in recent years and would suggest there are some back street charities registering as a charity on a lap top from their own home.
Have noticed that all the ads that show a tin hut with the people living in poor condition have been the same for decades but we never see their african politicians and presidents in their expensive houses suits and cars.. where are all the millions we been giving you over decades . . Could it be that the leaders of these poor countrys have decided that if they were to use all those millions to give the people decent housing .. water etc then the sponsor country might say' you dont need our money now'.. we can run oil pipelines across the world, why not filtered water.. theyve had many many years to change these conditions, but they like things to be as they are.. also some of the over paid charity executives who enjoy their £200 K plus perks. Why do we never see the accounts and expenses... until that happens ........ I'm out.

yep im with you..i am i believe a most charitable person will help anyone and also volunteer for a few charities (mentoring and RBL)but im also fed up with it being rammed down my throat every time there's an add break and the inability to walk down the street without being accosted by the pavement paddlers..What happened to charity begins at home..They don't make enough money off you for uk charities and have to be totally transparent.I now will not ever give to any non UK charity or where the funds are not used in the UK

I also went on this charity site where you sponsor someone's new venture for say £15 and they get 100% and they pay you it back and the charity guarantee it and guarantee that the whole amount goes directly to the person..i went too sponsor someone and when it came to pay the charity wanted a fee of £7 or something like that for setting it up..feck that...

There was some sort of under cover enquiry type of thing with regard to these big charities a few years back..
It was found in some cases only 1p of every £1 donated made it to the persons it was donated for..

Last edited:
Back