SPL Saturday 27th March

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Clydesdale Bank Premier League

12:30 Hearts vs Rangers

Rangers travel to Hearts on Saturday aiming to bounce back from their Scottish Cup exit in midweek.

Gers are boosted by the return of Steven Davis for the trip to Tynecastle.

The Northern Ireland international missed Wednesday's defeat at Dundee United with a virus but is fit to feature.

Fellow midfielders Lee McCulloch and Kevin Thomson are back from suspension but Madjid Bougherra faces up to another 10 days on the sidelines with a torn hamstring.

Hearts are hoping to welcome back vice-captain Marius Zaliukas for clash

The defender has been out for a month after tearing a hamstring but trained this week and could feature if there is no reaction to his injury.

Calum Elliot and Arvydas Novikovas remain doubts.

Michael Stewart (calf), Jose Goncalves (thigh), Dawid Kucharski, Ismael Bouzid (both hamstring), Marian Kello (hand), Johnny Stewart (knee) and Ryan Wallace are all still out.

15:00 Aberdeen vs St Mirren
Aberdeen will be keen to avoid suffering the same fate as Celtic when they face St Mirren on Saturday.

The Dons head into the weekend without a win in nine SPL outings, piling pressure on boss Mark McGhee.

The last side they would want to be facing this weekend is St Mirren, with Gus MacPherson's side fresh from a 4-0 hammering of Celtic which put paid to Tony Mowbray's tenure at Parkhead.

Aberdeen have no fresh injury concerns ahead of the crunch encounter.

Midfielder Gary McDonald remains sidelined with a hamstring injury but may return next week.

Peter Pawlett (knee) and Andrew Considine (hip) are long-term absentees.

Graham Carey returns to the St Mirren squad for the trip to Pittodrie.

The on-loan Celtic wing-back missed the 4-0 victory over his parent club under the terms of his loan agreement.

David Barron (knee), Chris Innes (stomach) and Allan Johnston (groin) remain on the sidelines along with long-term absentees Chris Smith and Tom Brighton.

15:00 Celtic vs Kilmarnock
Interim manager Neil Lennon will take charge of Celtic for the first time as they take on Kilmarnock in the SPL.

The Hoops were thrashed 4-0 by lowly St Mirren in midweek which resulted in the departure of Tony Mowbray, after just nine months in the job.

Lennon has revealed he would like the job on a permanent basis, and he will want to get off to a winning start against second-bottom Killie.

Scott Brown returns from suspension for the clash at Parkhead.

Defender Jos Hooiveld has recovered from a hamstring injury but is unwell and will be monitored.

Glenn Loovens (hamstring), Shaun Maloney (tendinitis), Niall McGinn (thigh) and Thomas Rogne (hamstring) will all miss the game.

Fraser Wright returns from suspension for Kilmarnock.

Defender Wright missed Wednesday night's 2-1 home defeat to Hamilton after going through the disciplinary points barrier.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood, therefore, has a full squad to choose from for the trip to Parkhead.

15:00 Dundee Utd vs Motherwell
Dundee United return to league duty against Motherwell following their cup triumph over Rangers in midweek.

Third place takes on fourth in the SPL in what promises to be an interesting game at Tannadice.

United defender Paul Dixon returns after injury for the clash. But Tuesday night's Scottish Cup hero David Robertson, who scored the quarter-final replay winner against the Gers, misses out with a calf injury for Peter Houston's side.

Dixon has recovered from an ankle problem so comes into the squad to replace Robertson, who left Tannadice on crutches with bad bruising on his leg.

Andy Webster is also available after sitting out in midweek but striker Damian Casalinuovo is out with a hamstring problem along with long-term injury victims Danny Cadamarteri (calf), Scott Robertson (groin) and Lee Wilkie (knee).

Motherwell have an unchanged squad for the SPL encounter.

Michael McGlinchey is pressing for involvement after scoring during an impressive performance in a midweek reserve friendly win over Celtic.

Marc Fitzpatrick and Shaun Hutchinson remain on the sidelines with hamstring injuries.

15:00 Falkirk vs Hibernian
Hibernian will look to get their quest for a third place finish back on track when they pay a visit to bottom club Falkirk.

John Hughes' team were dumped out of the Scottish Cup quarter-finals by First Division outfit Ross County on Tuesday and have gone three games without a win.

Falkirk, meanwhile, have drawn their last two and victory at the Falkirk Stadium would boost their survival hopes and drag Kilmarnock into the mire.

Bairns boss Steven Pressley has a lengthy list of injuries to contend with ahead of the visit of Hibs.

Ryan Flynn (thigh), Enoch Showunmi (foot) and James Bloom (hamstring) are all doubtful.

Colin Healy could miss out again with a virus while Vitor Lima (knee) and Danijel Marceta (ankle) are still unavailable.

Hibernian are hoping to welcome back Chris Hogg, Merouane Zemmama and Alan Gow back from injury for the Clydesdale Bank Premier League game at Falkirk.

Captain Hogg has missed the last two matches after suffering back spasms, while Zemmama and Gow (both hamstring) have been out for a month and three weeks, respectively.

Defender Paul Hanlon (pelvis) has been prescribed rest, while injury-hit Kevin McCann has recovered from a toe problem but needs game time.

15:00 Hamilton vs St Johnstone
Hamilton and St Johnstone are in danger of missing out on a place in the top six this season.

The Accies have gone five games without defeat to ease their relegation fears, but they remain in the lower reaches of the table.

Saints also need to put a run together if they are to break into the top half before the divisional split, with a five-point gap separating them from such a standing at present.

Hamilton manager Billy Reid is boosted by the return of Trent McClenahan on Saturday.

The Australian defender missed the midweek win over Kilmarnock with an ankle injury but is fit for the clash at New Douglas Park.

Reid has no fresh injuries to worry about for the visit of Saints but long-term casualties James Gibson and Derek Lyle remain on the sidelines.

St Johnstone's injury worries have eased slightly as manager Derek McInnes welcomes back Steven Anderson after the defender recovered from a knee problem.

Graham Gartland (virus) and Kenny Deuchar (ankle) are also back in contention.

Martin Hardie and Peter MacDonald (both knee) and Stuart McCaffrey (groin) remain out while captain Kevin Rutkiewicz has recovered from his knee injury but is not yet ready to play.

Last edited:
Fleck pens new deal
Rangers midfielder John Fleck has signed a new contract that will keep him at Ibrox until the summer of 2013.

The 18-year-old put pen-to-paper on Friday after his agent met with Gers chief executive Martin Bain.

It had been suggested earlier in the season that Fleck, along with fellow youngster Danny Wilson, rejected contracts as they were holding out for big-money moves to England.

But manager Walter Smith has dismissed such rumours and claims there was a misunderstanding in Fleck's case.

The youngster told the club's official website: "I'm delighted to get everything done and dusted and now it's a chance for me to concentrate on my football.

"Talks have been going on for a few weeks now and some things were written about me looking to move on but I have always wanted to stay with Rangers.

"It's great for me that I've got my future sorted out. I'm still only 18 and to be getting a chance to play for a club like this is fantastic at my age.

"I've been getting a few opportunities to play in games and come off the bench and that can only help me in the future.

"In the long term, I hope to keep developing as a player and I don't believe there is anywhere better for me to do that than here.

"More immediately, I'm desperate to help the team retain the league title over the next few weeks.

"We are in a good position in the SPL table but although a lot of people are saying the championship is already won, we have a bit to go yet before that's the case.

"Celtic could still come back and make things hard for us so we are all concentrating on making sure that doesn't happen.

"Personally, getting my future resolved allows me to focus totally on what we need to do and I'm ready to play my part between now and the summer."

Cmon ye well!!

the fight for 3rd place today!! right in about it like a tramp inty a fish supper!!

yas!

Craig Brown and Archie Knox!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

unveiling of tommy burns tribute at celtic park
_47545879_burns_plaque.jpg

and Murdo back at work
_47545941_murdo_comms.jpg

Oh **** :(

Well play utd, we get to the box and have no idea what to do next

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Thanks for that Rab I was wondering what the Placque would look like.

The Mowbray sacking overshadowed this unveiling and I almost forgot all about it!

Rangers have maintained their 10-point lead over Celtic with the Old Firm duo beating Hearts and Kilmarnock, respectively.

In the early kick-off Rangers piled the pressure on Celtic with an emphatic 4-1 success over Hearts at Tynecastle.

Although Suso Santana cancelled out Danny Wilson's early opener Gers would not be denied. Kenny Miller restored the visitors' advantage with Steven Naismith's brace wrapping up the points.

Celtic have started life without Tony Mowbray in charge positively courtesy of a 3-1 win over Kilmarnock at Parkhead.

Robbie Keane helped himself to a brace with captain Scott Brown ensuring Neil Lennon's tenure began with a victory. Craig Bryson's effort proved only a consolation.

Motherwell's long unbeaten run has come to an end after going down 3-0 to 10-man Dundee United at Tannadice.

The Terrors played for much of the contest a man light when Paul Dixon was sent off just 16 minutes in. However, they overcame their handicap by putting Well to the sword. David Goodwillie, Prince Buaben and Daniel Swanson all netted to cap a fine week for Peter Houston's side.

Hibernian remain just adrift of Dundee United after claiming a 3-1 win at struggling Falkirk.

Things looked good for the Bairns early on with Mark Stewart opening the scoring, but Hibs soon responded. Derek Riordan, Anthony Stokes and Souleymane Bamba bagged three unanswered first-half goals as Jeff Hughes' side claimed the points.

Aberdeen got the better of St Mirren with a 2-1 success at Pittodrie despite finishing the contest with 10 men.

Zander Diamond and Sone Aluko netted before Steven Robb pulled one back. The Dons managed to hold onto the points despite Steven MacLean seeing red late on.

Hamilton have moved 11 points clear of rock-bottom Falkirk thanks to James Wesolowski's winner just before half-time against St Johnstone at New Douglas Park.

Back