SPL preview

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The last round of games before the SPL split take place this weekend with the top six spots still be decided.

Hibernian and Motherwell are battling it out for the sixth spot before the league divides into two.

Hibs play host to title-chasing Rangers, who could include 'Booze brothers' Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor in their squad following their club bans, on Sunday.

Motherwell entertain relegation-threatened St Mirren at Fir Park on Saturday hoping to pile the pressure on Hibs.

Elsewhere, Celtic will be seeking to extend their lead at the top of the table when they welcome Aberdeen to Parkhead.

Basement boys Falkirk are in desperate need of the points as they play host to third-placed Hearts.

Dundee United will be hoping to boost their European aspirations when Kilmarnock travel to Tannadice.

Relegation rivals Inverness and Hamilton lock horns in the Highlands with both sides aiming to climb clear of trouble.

Celtic v Aberdeen

Celtic could hand Shaun Maloney a start in attack for the visit of Aberdeen as they have problems to contend with in attack.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Georgios Samaras are both carrying knocks from last weekend's draw at Hearts meaning Maloney could be thrown into the starting XI after recovering from a troublesome hamstring injury.

Bhoys skipper Stephen McManus is a major doubt with a thigh problem with Glenn Loovens standing by to replace him in defence.

Scott Brown plays his final match before serving a two-game ban, while Barry Robson remains on the sidelines.

Aberdeen will be without first-choice strike partnership Lee Miller and Darren Mackie for the trip to Glasgow.

Miller begins a two-match ban after being booked against Motherwell earlier this month, while a recurrence of a hamstring problem has ruled out Mackie.

However, Zander Diamond is fit to play after recovering from an ankle injury, while Andrew Considine and Mark Kerr both return from suspension.

Dundee United v Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock will be without playmaker Manuel Pascali for Saturday's game at Dundee United.

The midfielder picked up his 13th booking of the season in the defeat at Hearts two weeks ago and begins a two-match ban.

James Fowler (foot) is back in training but the game comes to soon for the defender, but winger Willie Gibson is back in contention after his own foot problem.

Dundee United welcome back Warren Feeney and Morgaro Gomis.

Northern Ireland striker Feeney missed last weekend's win at Hamilton with a virus, while Gomis was suffering from a bruised foot.

Long-term injured pair Jon Daly (knee) and Scott Robertson (groin) remain on the sidelines.

Falkirk v Hearts

Falkirk manager John Hughes faces a shortage of attacking options for Saturday's clash with Hearts.

Michael Higdon is his only fully fit striker, with Steve Lovell ruled out with a knee injury and Mark Stewart and Carl Finnigan struggling to shake off knocks.

Veteran winger Neil McCann is also a doubt.

Hearts are likely to have an unchanged squad.

Gary Glen (ankle) and Jason Thomson (hamstring) are expected to miss out while Laryea Kingston is not ready to return from his hamstring injury.

Mike Tullberg is pushing for an appearance but Calum Elliot is likely to continue up front.

Inverness v Hamilton

Inverness midfielder Richie Foran and centre-back Pavels Mihadjuks should be fit in time for the relegation clash with Hamilton.

Foran suffered a neck injury in last weekend's defeat to Aberdeen but has returned to training, while Mihadjuks took a knock to the ribs.

Eric Odhiambo, who was injured in the warm-up at Pittodrie last Saturday, will be out of action for up to three weeks, and Richie Byrne misses out with a back injury picked up in the reserves' defeat to Falkirk.

Hamilton manager Billy Reid could have as many as five first-team regulars unavailable.

David Elebert, Trent McClenahan, Brian Easton, Mark Corcoran and Richard Offiong are all struggling with various knocks.

Although all rated doubtful at the moment, Reid is hoping at least one proves his fitness ahead of a match which is crucial to their hopes of remaining in the SPL.

Motherwell v St Mirren

Motherwell captain Stephen Craigan could return for the home game against St Mirren.

The defender returned to training on Friday after missing two SPL games with a calf injury and the Steelmen are optimistic over his chances.

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee has no other injury concerns.

John Potter misses out for St Mirren through suspension.

Buddies boss Gus MacPherson is still unable to call upon Tom Brighton, Stephen O'Donnell, Chris Smith, Steven Robb and Franco Miranda through injury.

Sunday
Hibernian v Rangers

Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor are both available for selection for Rangers' trip to Hibernian.

The pair have served their two-week club bans but are likely to still be lacking in fitness ahead of Sunday's visit to Easter Road.

Sasa Papac and Kenny Miller could both be involved after recovering from ankle and hamstring injuries respectively. But Lee McCulloch, DaMarcus Beasley, Kyle Lafferty, Kirk Broadfoot and Kevin Thomson are still out of action.

Hibernian have received a huge boost ahead with the news Steven Fletcher has been declared fit to play.

The Scotland internationa injured his groin in Monday night's 1-1 draw with St Mirren but has recovered to take a full part in training ahead of the visit of the Ibrox men.

Hibs manager Mixu Paatelainen has no other injury worries as he seeks the victory that would definitely secure his team's place in the top six.

It's going to be a tough match for us, since we are playing poorly, have a host of injured players and ICT are resurgent under TB. I believe that we might have the former Man U youngster Christy Fagan playing tomorrow and along with a the 2 James's and Alex Neil in midlfield, we may just have enough to take the points.

I'm going for a narrow 1-0 victory for the mighty mighty Accies.

Gav I hope you've not put away your winter woollies m8..because it's back up to Inverness for you ma lad, Football's coming home it's coming home it's coming, big team top 6 wee team bottom 6. PMSL :Laugh:

:Cheers:

we were fucking pish

we had 1 chance st mirren had 3

i couldnt watch st mirren every week my god all they do is punt the ball forward there is no point in them having a midfeild

fair pla to hibs, i didnt know that if we had drawn and gers had beat hibs by 4 clear goals then it would have been a play off, dont need to worry bout that now

do you think they would notice if we started ripping up the pitch just now? lol

we would have had gers hearts and tic at FP if we had got the top 6 :(

awk ****!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Truth is m8 I don't know if it's a good thing us in the top 6...we want shot of mixu and from what I hear the board might decide to give him another season, because his contract states if we finish top 6 then we have to pay the remaining time left, bottom 6 and he gets his jotters no compo. :Cry:

:Cheers:

i think McGhee will walk and we might get yogi hughes

i think he could do a great job at FP but if McGhee stays then thats even better!!

still think McGhee will be the next celtic gaffer

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back