Spelling Don't Matter one Iota

Grammar and punctuation is more important than spelling.
A comma or full stop in the wrong place can have an entirely different meaning.

Example:
I am an animal photographer ( is the photographer an animal?)
I am a photographer of animals (says what it means)

Example:

Another example:

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

or

I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.

Example:

But it is very unlikely that an animal would tell you it was a photographer!

:)

Unless it was this one:

Squirrel-Camera.jpg

Aye, grammer and punctuation is are more important, without that, you can get the wrong end of the stick completly.

People who are good at spelling do tend to look down their noses at those who aren't. Fact, not everyone is going to be good at spelling, people have different types of brains. Most people our sort of age groups had pretty poor educations to boot. Intelligence comes in all different forms, and a persons command of spelling isn't a measure of how great a person they are.

I see the written and spoken word as an art form. There are countless different ways to write and punctuate a sentence, like there are strokes of a brush and colours on a pallet. My school education was really bad, and I try and make as much as an effort as I can to spell and write correctly, but I find it a real challenge! I try more to make sure what I write flows nicely and is interesting to read. Yes, I am still working it before you brake out the wise cracks.

As said, it's a little effort that counts... The main thing that stops me dead in my tracks when reading something is when people write your when what they mean is you're, probably the most common mistake I see on forums all the time.

I know someone who went on Countdown, and he spells it's with an apostrophe all the time, even when it's inregards to ownership, which is wrong, ie; The dog is barking, its breath stinks as well... you only use it's when you mean it is... And that is someone who went on Countdown!!!

The trouble with being a snob about anything is that eventually someone is going to come along and look down their noises at you and make you feel like shit - if people like that were so intelligent then they would realise there are more enlightened ways to conduct yourself through life...

Last edited:
well, your post seems to prove the opposite to your premise. as nera points out, the words are not spelt wrong, the letters are just rearranged.

the letters are in the incorrect order to match the word with one in the dictionary, its a spelling mistake, whether you can actually understand it or not, so the word is spelt wrong

oops sorry. l should have put.
well, your post seems to prove the opposite to your premise.

as it can be read. but only because, many, know how words "should" be spelled. its now a cypher and a simple one. it would not work without "formalised" spelling.

if it doesn't not matter, try reading a book, spelt in the same way.

What I hate is text speak....

Exactly, no real excuse for it on a full keyboard except for lazyness or an exagerated desire to appear "cool". Text speak is NOT cool on a technical forum. We already have more than enough technical abbreviations without adding nonsensical word-shortening.

Spelling isn't a problem as long as the result is understandable to the target audience. A few people should perhaps read what they've written before hitting the submit button. If you cant understand your own post then what chance does anybody else have.

The odd bit of punctuation and paragraphs are also nice. There's nothing worse than reading a long post that is written as a single continuous sentance. I must admit, I tend to ignore such posts.

Capitalization also makes a difference, as the following example proves.

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse.

and

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

Pay attention at the back!!

(launches chalk duster @seedy)

Post #44

Last edited by a moderator:
another example

totally different v14 don't just jump in to get your post count up mate
or
totally different v14 don't just jump in to get your post count up mate

I love forum stalkers :)

This is actually the reason we can understand some of Witchy2k1's posts.

:Clap:

The other week there was a post refering to the speelling on DW Threads and Posts well Cambridge University say different.

Please read below :-

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on!!

Well there you are !!!!!!!!!!!

Back