Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys,

i have a Sony Vaio PCG-7185M

when i come to boot the laptop up it comes up with:

A disk error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

this comes up everytime i do as instructed

so ive pressed alt+F10 for the windows boot manager i then get a message saying:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

this error ca be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

if you continue to recive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

info: an unexpected I/O error has occurred

ENTER=Continue ESC=Exit

when i press enter the laptop will the freeze

can any1 please help me with this matter?

If I were you I would take the hard disk out and connect it to another PC using your average sata to usb convertor (I am assuming the drive will be sata) then run some disk utils on it, namely scandisk and the like.

If it does not find any faults with the drives hardware then you may have to re-install from dvd or memory stick, whatever takes your fancy.

You could try using a bootable cd version of something like hdd regenerator to see if you have any bad sectors that are repairable.

Lastly, you may have a corrupt bios, or part that controls the hard disk, that is not functioning OK. A bios flash from a usb flash device or floppy may be the last resort, but don't even consider this until you have exhausted all other proceedures, including replacing disk drive with a known working one and trying a fresh install on that.

Good luck.

thnx for the reply m8 i have been messing around with it last night i downloaded a win 7 an bootd from disc i ran Bootrec.exe then bootrec/ RebuildBcd from the command prompt all came back succesful so restarted an still the same i then booted again from cd n selected the repair option from the win 7 disc, i then come into the system recovery options,

and ther is no operating system, partition size or location

i then have the option of restoring using a system image but i have not got a system image created,

ive had the laptop on all night trying a startup repair an nothing has happened at all,

can any1 help me with this matter does this mean i need a new hdd or a wire has sme how come loose somewer

hi there pob, i have no usb drives connected, how wud i remove optical and hard drives (ive never opened laptop b4) and also never done a smert test, any more help wud b much apreciated

Each laptop has it's own method of opening. Look on Google for a disassembly diagram. Though, to be honest, I only mentioned reseating based on the error message. From what you've done so far, I doubt they've become disconnected.

SeaTools from Seagate is able to test most hard drives, but most of the manufacturers drive testing softwares are on Hirens Boot Disc.

the laptop wont load windows at all it will only boot from cd (carnt go no further then the repair screen), will i b able to boot from cd with either hirens or seatools?

i have downloaded hirens boot cd, i have booted seagate disc wizard n get a error message:

failed to read from sector 2.064 of the hard disc i have chosen to ignore as the retry option kept givin the same error message then another error this time sector 19,624,616 after a few more sector error i then finally a error:

to use the product, at least one seagate or maxtor device should b installed to your system

ihave set now set laptop to boot from hdd an now get a message saying:

Operating system not found

any more info please?

Back